Write Me My Song Reinvents Gift Giving

By KATHERINE MOBILIA

For any special occasion, Write Me My Song can create a personalized song for you. (Samuel Joseph/The Ram)

Did you ever wish that there were a song that expressed exactly how you felt about a certain someone? Well, it is your lucky day: the up-and-coming website Write Me My Song may be exactly what you are looking for. Write Me My Song is a website dedicated to writing original tunes for paying customers, whether for a special occasion, like a birthday, or just to capture how two people first met and fell in love.

The website is run by Evan Behlivanis, Jeremy Honig and Brian Frankel, three musical geniuses who met at Binghamton University and participated in the same a cappella group. While they all have other jobs, music is their collective passion and they decided to “utilize [their] ability to create songs for others,” as it is described in their bio on the website.

Each song can range from 30 seconds to four minutes long and the price can range from $49 to $299, depending on the length and quality of the song. Write Me My Song provides a list of “Appetizer” and “Main Course” categories of songs. “Appetizers” contains “Blast,” which is a short greeting card, “Got Lyrics?” in which you give your own lyrics to the men to create a song, and “Jingle,” where a business can hire the musicians to create a catchy jingle for their company. The “Main Course” category offers “Deluxe Song,” which is a fully-produced song accompanied by vocals, harmonies and various instruments, and “Acoustic Song,” which is fully produced but only offers vocals, harmonies and acoustic guitar or piano.

These specific classifications provide consumers with a clear, methodical way to create just the right melodies they are looking for, without having a significant amount of musical knowledge.

This website is a precursor to thriving, international industry that can only grow as time progresses. These ingenious musicians came up with the perfect formula for a newfound business to succeed. They took a well-known tradition that many people have unsuccessfully attempted, and have not only made songwriting possible for the tone deaf or those lacking creative inspiration, but streamlined it, too.

By creating heartfelt songs that customers personalize with stories, catchphrases and pet names, Write Me My Song will never run low on inspiration or new concepts for its business. Furthermore, making every song personal will only attract more customers who want a unique couple song, wedding song or a song that simply captures an individual’s essence or a special moment.

While the actual song may not come directly from one’s significant other, the thought of giving someone a song to have forever truly is the creative, sentimental gift that continues to give. Instead of giving your girlfriend or boyfriend common presents like jewelry, flowers or a sports jersey, having the idea of hiring a team of talented musicians to write him or her a song is not only a romantic gesture, but also an original twist on a timeless practice of serenading a loved one.

The potential success of this business and the mere idea of its creation are largely reflective of how our society of social media and dating works interact today. People are addicted to social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Vine, all of which show videos, links, music and pictures to capture moments of real life that are then broadcasted for the world to see. The idea of sitting down, taking out a pen and paper and writing a song in today’s time without using any technology is simply unrealistic.

While this may show signs of a loss of chivalry in society, it provides people with the opportunity to create a service that will revive romantic gestures for all of those old souls who find value in traditional practices of courtship.

Writememysong.com provides our generation and those to come with a way to express how they feel without hiding behind a text conversation or a phone call. Today writing a song is as simple as going on a website, providing some details and watching the creative process begin and end with a song that will last as long as the Internet.