Does America Have a Fighting Chance in the 2014 Ryder Cup?

The Ryder Cup is a biennial exhibition that pits the very best American golfers against the best European golfers in a team match play high-profile event lasting three days. This year’s edition, to be held at the PGA Centenary Course at the Gleneagles Hotel in Scotland, begins in less than a week. It is sure to excite and entertain golf fans on both sides of the pond. As expected, the Europeans are the favorites, and for good reason. Since the turn of the century, they have won five of the six Ryder Cups. The American squad’s lone victory came in 2008. The Europeans have proven on many occasions that they can outduel the Americans over the three days of competition. Furthermore, this year’s European team features four of the top six players in the world rankings: Rory McIlroy, Sergio Garcia, Henrik Stenson and Justin Rose. These four are an intimidating crew by any measure, and the Americans will need to bring their A-game if they want to have a chance against them.  Despite all of this, the squad from this side of the Atlantic has a much better chance of winning the Ryder Cup than it would initially seem. While much has been made of Europe’s talented quartet of top 10 players, no one is talking about the fact that another four of the world’s top 10 hail from the USA: Jim Furyk, Bubba Watson, Matt Kuchar and Rickie Fowler. They may not be quite as good as Europe’s core four, but make no mistake — they are a credible, competitive group that is capable of carrying the American squad to victory. With them leading the way, Europe’s frontline is not that much better than the USA’s. Additionally, the Americans form a stronger team all around. While the European squad features some amazing talent, it also includes relative journeymen like Jamie Donaldson and Stephen Gallacher. Also on the team are veterans Lee Westwood and Ian Poulter who have been a part of Europe’s wins in the past, both men are badly out of form.  The Americans, on the other hand, have a great team from top to bottom, with each golfer playing a specialized role. Hunter Mahan, for instance, is a master of match play who can perform well under pressure. Zach Johnson is a wiz at chipping and putting. Webb Simpson is the perfect partner for Watson; they went undefeated as a pair at the 2012 Ryder Cup. Keegan Bradley and Phil Mickelson complement each other perfectly as playing partners, while Jimmy Walker and Jordan Spieth are flexible, all-purpose players. Patrick Reed brings heart and intensity. The Europeans may have world-class players and a sparkling track record, but they are not as tough as they look. The American team has been constructed perfectly and is built to give the defending champions a run for its money. Just like the last two times, this year’s Ryder Cup should come down to the last few matches. (Courtesy of Wikimedia)

Rory McIlroy leads a top-heavy European squad into this year’s Ryder Cup. (Courtesy of Wikimedia)

By Sam Belden

The Ryder Cup is a biennial exhibition that pits the very best American golfers against the best European golfers in a team match play high-profile event lasting three days. This year’s edition, to be held at the PGA Centenary Course at the Gleneagles Hotel in Scotland, begins in less than a week. It is sure to excite and entertain golf fans on both sides of the pond.

As expected, the Europeans are the favorites, and for good reason. Since the turn of the century, they have won five of the six Ryder Cups. The American squad’s lone victory came in 2008. The Europeans have proven on many occasions that they can outduel the Americans over the three days of competition. Furthermore, this year’s European team features four of the top six players in the world rankings: Rory McIlroy, Sergio Garcia, Henrik Stenson and Justin Rose. These four are an intimidating crew by any measure, and the Americans will need to bring their A-game if they want to have a chance against them.

Despite all of this, the squad from this side of the Atlantic has a much better chance of winning the Ryder Cup than it would initially seem. While much has been made of Europe’s talented quartet of top 10 players, no one is talking about the fact that another four of the world’s top 10 hail from the USA: Jim Furyk, Bubba Watson, Matt Kuchar and Rickie Fowler. They may not be quite as good as Europe’s core four, but make no mistake — they are a credible, competitive group that is capable of carrying the American squad to victory. With them leading the way, Europe’s frontline is not that much better than the USA’s.

Additionally, the Americans form a stronger team all around. While the European squad features some amazing talent, it also includes relative journeymen like Jamie Donaldson and Stephen Gallacher. Also on the team are veterans Lee Westwood and Ian Poulter who have been a part of Europe’s wins in the past, both men are badly out of form.

The Americans, on the other hand, have a great team from top to bottom, with each golfer playing a specialized role. Hunter Mahan, for instance, is a master of match play who can perform well under pressure. Zach Johnson is a wiz at chipping and putting. Webb Simpson is the perfect partner for Watson; they went undefeated as a pair at the 2012 Ryder Cup. Keegan Bradley and Phil Mickelson complement each other perfectly as playing partners, while Jimmy Walker and Jordan Spieth are flexible, all-purpose players. Patrick Reed brings heart and intensity.

The Europeans may have world-class players and a sparkling track record, but they are not as tough as they look. The American team has been constructed perfectly and is built to give the defending champions a run for its money. Just like the last two times, this year’s Ryder Cup should come down to the last few matches.

Sam Belden is a Staff Writer for The Fordham Ram.