Is ‘Revenge’ Worth the Trouble?

Madeleine Stowne, Joshua Bowman and Emily VanCamp star in ABC’s “Revenge.” Courtesy of Lionel Cirroneau.

By Jungsuh Kim

For those eagerly anticipating the return of “Revenge,” the wait is finally over. ABC’s hit show set in the Hamptons has graced us with another suspenseful season. The show tells the story of Amanda Clarke, who disguises herself as Emily Thorne in order to avenge her father, David Clarke, against the evil Grayson family. Season 3 left us with cliffhanger. It ended with Conrad Grayson’s release from prison and his encounter with David Clarke, who was thought to be dead. Viewers were stunned and left with many questions.

The first episode of Season 4 offered little in answer to these questions. It started with a glimpse into the new luxurious life of Emily Thorne. After her impressive and much awaited takedown of the Graysons, she was able to not only publicly destroy their image, but also buy Grayson Manor itself, making it even more humiliating for both Victoria and Daniel (Victoria’s eldest son). All seems fine until Nolan Ross confronts Emily about her obsession with seeking revenge, even after she had completed her mission. Emily is seen having an emotional breakdown, foreshadowing the difficult journey she will face in her future. The episode concludes with Victoria Grayson escaping her psychiatric ward and being kidnapped by the one and only David Clarke. However, we do not know why David has chosen Victoria as the first person to reveal himself to, nor what he plans to do with her.

“Revenge” seems to have a promising return even after the unbelievable plot twist that the previous season had left. Viewers are still left with lingering questions that will haunt them — How is David Clarke alive and what will Emily do once she’s found out her father has been alive all these years? Stay tuned for the rest of the season to find out.