Notre Dame Acknowledges Same-Sex Spouses

Courtesy of Wikimedia

Courtesy of Wikimedia

By Abigail Heinemeyer

Identity is important. Whether it is that of an individual or an entire institution, how one is labeled has an enormous impact. Identity effects how others see a subject, as well as how the subject sees itself.

However, should we always allow a chosen identity to define who we are and the actions we take? Notre Dame’s recent decision might test this notion.

On Wednesday, Oct. 8th, the University of Notre Dame sent an email to all employees informing them of the changes that are underway for certain aspects of their benefits policies. Notre Dame will now grant benefits to the spouses of all employees in legal marriages.

While this might seem ordinary at face value, this amendment is important. As same-sex marriage is now legal in the state of Illinois, this means that the Catholic-affiliated school will be including spouses in same-sex marriages.

In the email, the university stated, “Notre Dame is a Catholic university and endorses a Catholic view of marriage. However, it will follow the relevant civil law and begin to implement this change immediately.”

Notre Dame’s decision is bound to have a variety of consequences — both good and bad.

Marissa Abbonizio, GSB ’18, believes that this decision will make the school more attractive to prospective employees, because “it makes the school seem more accepting of all people.”

Abbonizio’s analysis might prove to be correct. In an interview done by the South Bend Tribune, Aaron Nichols, an openly gay staff member at Notre Dame, expressed his admiration for the school’s new policy. “Being an out staff member, I feel a lot more confident that my concerns are being heard and responded to,” he said. With same-sex marriage becoming legal in an increasing number of states, various Catholic universities have been forced to make a decision on how to conform to the matter. Some schools, such as Holy Cross College, Gordon College and Bethel College — all private schools located in states where same-sex marriage is legal — have decided not to amend their previous policies. Others, however, like Saint Mary’s College, have chosen to comply with the changing of their states’ laws regarding same-sex marriage.

Many Fordham students agree with Notre Dame’s decision to be more inclusive. Marc Alibrandi, FCRH ’15, applauds the move, “Notre Dame’s decision is awesome.”

Alibrandi does acknowledge, however, that other’s reactions will be mixed. “I think Notre Dame’s decision will probably cause annoyance to the more conservative members in the Church, but when it comes down to it, the Church is comprised of people, and they should be treated as such,” he said, “I believe that the majority of Catholics will applaud Notre Dame’s decision here.”

Though many might be in favor of Notre Dame’s decision, it is logical to see how some might view this as the university going against its Catholic identity. While hints have been made of a possible shift in its stance, the Church has made it clear time and time again that it defines marriage to be between a man and a woman.

Loyalty to church teachings is, undoubtedly, an important characteristic for a Catholic university to maintain. But, we should also be mindful of the time we live in and the changing social climate.

As any history book will tell you time and time again, the Catholic church is by no means perfect. That is not to say that it has not done its fair share of wonderful and benevolent things — but it is not error-free.

Perhaps we can conclude that the Church’s stance on same-sex marriage and homosexuality as a whole is simply a mistake in need of correcting. Because, while we can quote Bible verses condemning homosexuality, can we not find even more promoting acceptance and love?

__________

Abigail Heinemeyer is a Staff Writer for The Fordham Ram.