Tea in the City: A Comprehensive Look at New York Tea Options

Harney and Sons Soho features a large, unique variety of specialty teas. (Dave Pinter/Flickr)

By Claire Kim
_____________________________________________
We all know how much we love pumpkin spice lattes, but I am here to tell everyone that there are more seasonal flavors than the spiced orange gourd. In search of other drinks that give me that fall feeling, I selected the following cafes speckled throughout New York. Hopefully one of these places will catch your eye and help you branch out from the popular pumpkin spice latte. That warm and fuzzy feeling that you associate with sweaters and foliage can be found right in these locations.
12 Corners | Lower East Side
Let’s start with a transition drink, just to dip your toes in the water. 12 Corners, a smaller coffee and tea shop in Chinatown, offers a year-round almond pumpkin latte. It’s warm, nutty, frothy and served in an extra-large ceramic mug that warms your chilled fingers in seconds. It is a step away from pumpkin spice, but still leaves the customer with a lovely pumpkin aroma. The latte art that is featured on all of its signature drinks is a cute addition to one’s Instagram page, as well as a pick-me-up on a chilly October day. Plus, the cozy little cafe offers free WiFi and tons of outlet plugs, so make the move and jump into autumn with a nice almond pumpkin latte at 12 Corners.
Culture Tea Bar | Harlem
Tucked away in Harlem, Culture Tea Bar is a sweet treat from the tea gods. The delicate smells of black, green, oolong and herbal loose leaf teas fill your nostrils as you walk in the door.  The sweet candy apple green tea is a fun tea that tastes like the halloweens of your childhood. Sweet apple and rich green tea are mixed to create a one-of-a-kind liquid dessert. This tea shop offers cold options for all their drinks and even gives the customer the option to add boba (tapioca balls) to their drinks. A strange turn from the normal tea experience, the tapioca adds a little fun and spunk to a normal tea-tasting experience.
Presstea | West Village
The tea pick at PressTea near Greenwich Village does not scream “autumn,” but it is the most delicious drink on their menu, so that should be good enough. The mango rooibos tea served hot or cold is the perfect mix of fruity, sweet and refreshing flavors. As each cup of tea is brewed individually via their espresso machine, the flavors are hard to beat. Rich notes of mango hit the sides of your tongue as the rooibos nestles into the back of your mouth. It is truly a magical experience that leaves you addicted to the unlikely flavor pairing.
From the trendy chalkboard easel outside, to the comfy armchairs inside, the cafe itself is a miniature dream living room: straight out of the cozy home section of pinterest. It is a must-stop for tea lovers.
Harney and Sons Soho | Soho
Now for the big leagues.  It is time to face a shop that specializes in the art of tea. When you walk into Harney and Sons Soho, you will realize that these people are serious about their tea knowledge. At first, you may be intimidated by the immense wall of different loose leaf teas, but worry not! The staff, as well as being very knowledgeable about all things tea, are extremely friendly. Name a couple of your favorite flavors, and they will have you on your way to finding the tea-love of your life.
Their seasonal, cinnamon spice tea is just what you need as the weather begins to change. This drink is like a cinnamon roll plus a Red Hot candy. Add some milk and honey, snuggle up in a big ottoman and rest in the steam that rises from your cup. It is truly blissful.
Physical Graffitea | East Village
   Physical Graffitea is my personal favorite shop that I visited on this list. I fell in love with both the pun in the name and the delicious tea that this little hole in the wall had to offer. My iced matcha green tea latte was the loveliest surprise that I could have encountered. This tea/latte mix is made on the spot with freshly ground matcha and flavored with soy milk and honey. The consistency is that of a light milkshake while the flavor is of so much more. A taste of this tea really shows the customer the true flavors of a good green tea without overpowering the delicate frothiness of a latte. This strange but successful beverage is a must-try this fall.
__________

Claire Kim is a Staff Writer for The Fordham Ram.