Compelling Film Boasts All-Star Male Leads

Courtesy of Flickr

Courtesy of Flickr

By Eileen McClean

Foxcatcher is directed by Bennett Miller (Moneyball) and stars Steve Carell (“The Office”), Channing Tatum (21 Jump Street) and Mark Ruffalo (The Avengers). The film de- picts the true story of John du Pont (Carell) and professional wrestlers Mark (Tatum) and David Schultz (Ruffalo) and the events that pre- ceded David’s murder at the hands of du Pont. The limited release in New York theatres began on Friday, Nov. 14, but also premiered at various film festivals, including the Cannes Film Festival and the New York Film Festival. First of all, the performances are fantastic across the board.

Carell, who is predicted to receive his first Oscar nomination for this role, shows a side of himself as an actor never before seen by audiences. His ability to portray such an unnerving and mentally unstable character brilliantly may come as a surprise to many viewers. As a long- time fan of Carell, I think it is wonderful to see him receive the recognition he deserves as a dramatic actor.

The biggest surprise that came out of the film for me was Tatum’s performance. This character, more than any of the others he has portrayed, goes through a dramatic and emotional transformation, which Tatum portrays very well. As it does with Carell, the movie shows a departure from the types of roles Tatum is known for and shows what he is capable of doing. Ruffalo, in a smaller role than his cast mates, is excellent, as always, as a loving family man and brother who ends up paying the ultimate price.

However, Foxcatcher does have some flaws. I feel the screenplay could have been improved. While some parts are absolutely brilliant, the pacing of the film was off, dwelling on insignificant scenes, which were too long, and not focusing on important scenes enough. Also, Carell’s du Pont makeup is poorly done and distracts from his acting. Despite the flaws in the film, Carell and Tatum’s acting alone make the film a worthwhile watch. Overall, I recommend Foxcatcher for anyone who enjoys true-crime stories and excellent acting.