A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Laughter by the Lamplight

Courtesy of FET

Courtesy of FET

By Jasmine Ting

The line was long on a terribly snowy night for Fordham Experimental Theater’s (FET) final showing of their rendition of William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. With this turnout, I had nothing but high expectations for this rendition of a classic Shakespearean comedy.

You can only imagine how taken aback I was by the bare stage — save a few platforms and a single, skinny streetlamp on wheels in the middle of the stage. As the first scene took place, I was not so impressed, and slightly confused. However, when characters Hermia, Egeus and Demetrius, played by Sarah Hill, FCRH ’17, Ricky Bordelon, FCRH ’15, and AJ Golio, FCRH ’16, respectively, stepped onstage and delivered their lines, my initial impression of the production immediately changed.

The actors’ loud, strong and clear voices filled with emotion stood out. They not only memorized Shakespearean script, but seemed to understand the dialogue with such conviction. This not only applies to the members of The Court of Athens, but to The Fairies as well. The facial expressions from Oberon were key to understanding what exactly was going on in the world of fairies. Of course, loyal servant Puck, played by Jacob Benoit, FCRH ’17, must be applauded for his extraordinary performance and delivery. He stood out not only among his fellow fairies, but among the cast.

However, what I found to be the crowning glory of the show was the charming ensemble that played The Rude Mechanicals. They got not only the most laughs, but also the greatest applause from the audience. Recognition goes to them, for they were truly able to bring this centuries-old comedy’s humor back to life with their antics and the crowd’s roaring laughter. Although the lamp was a poor choice for lighting, as it was not able to show the emotion in the characters’ faces at some particular moments, it was a smart choice for prop. It was able to emphasize the light comedic aspect of the play, as seen when the lording figure of Oberon hid behind its skinny pole. It was also fitting when the time came for The Rude Mechanicals to take the stage to perform their play within the play, since the usage of the stage lights made it clear that this was a performance within their performance. The costumes were simple, not too flashy and suitable for the story’s setting.

Besides the tweaks, and the subtle insertion of contemporary culture into the scrip, costume, props and set design made this adaptation a success. And, technical elements aside, there was obvious discipline present throughout the entire production. Each and every student who contributed to the performance proved to be dedicated to their roles, as demonstrated by the actors who did not move an inch from their sleeping positions throughout the intermission period. This display of true showmanship must be admired and recognized. FET made sure that the play was not just for play but for genuine entertainment. It was quite the show.