Men’s Basketball Peaking at the Right Time

The Rams will battle Duquesne on Wednesday before traveling to St. Bonaventure to close out the regular season.

The Rams will battle Duquesne on Wednesday before traveling to St. Bonaventure to close out the regular season. Christian Wiloejo/The Fordham Ram.

By Max Prinz

The Fordham men’s basketball team is very near the end of another tough season. Despite facing numerous challenges this year, the Rams appear to be peaking at the right time. Fordham has won four of its last seven games since Feb. 7 and has climbed out of the basement of the Atlantic 10.

Perhaps most impressive is the Rams’ three-game home winning streak. Fordham has shown how much of a weapon the Rose Hill Gym can be, posting an 8-7 record there this season, and has convincing conference wins over Saint Louis, Saint Joseph’s and La Salle.

“I’m obviously very pleased,” head coach Tom Pecora said. “I think we send a message when people see these scores and they us winning, not only at home, but by double digits.”

The Rams’ most recent victory came over the Explorers was their most recent one. It was senior Bryan Smith who led the charge for Fordham in that game, scoring 15 points and dishing out four assists.

“The way they’re playing now and the way that they’re maturing – a lot of that has to do with Bryan,” Pecora said.

Smith tied his season-high against La Salle and is averaging over 11 points per game in the Rams’ last five contests.

“My teammates and my coaches always have confidence in me,” Smith said. “They always tell me ‘keep working on your shot and stay confident.’”

The Rams also got big contributions from freshman Christian Sengfelder and sophomore Jon Severe. Severe matched Smith’s scoring output with 15 points of his own, and Sengfelder earned his third double-double of the year, with 14 points and 14 rebounds.

Even more impressive was the Fordham defense, which had its best outing of the year against La Salle. The Explorers shot just 29 percent from the floor on Wednesday, the lowest percentage by a Fordham opponent this season. Fordham also surrendered a season-low 48 points to La Salle.

Despite having so much success against La Salle, the Rams struggled on the road against UMass. Fordham returned to the script that has doomed it all season, taking a lead into halftime and then failing to execute down the stretch in a losing effort.

The Rams held a four-point advantage over the Minutemen at halftime, but struggled to make plays in the second half. The Minutemen had the hot hand out of the break, going on a 13-0 run to flip the score and take a lead they would not relinquish. UMass defeated Fordham 82-74 to give the Rams their 18th loss of the season.

At 9-18 on the year, Pecora enters the final weekend of the regular season with an excellent chance to reach his highest season win total at Fordham. The Rams are guaranteed at least one game in the A-10 Tournament, in addition to their games Wednesday and Saturday, and Pecora needs two wins to set a new high.

“They haven’t quit a bit,” Pecora said of his team. “The grit and toughness that they have and their willingness to believe in themselves and each other, that’s what this is all about.”

Fordham’s final home game of the year is this Wednesday against Duquesne. Seniors Bryan Smith, Nihad Musovic, DC Gaitley and Erando Halilaj will be honored prior to a 7 p.m. tip.

There are 2 comments