Spring Fashion: Timeless and Trendy Styles

By Elizabeth Smislova

For a casual spring look, a dress can be paired with wedges and bright accessories. COURTESY OF AP/AMANDA SCHWAB

Vivienne Westwood said, “Fashion is very important. It is life-enhancing and, like everything that gives pleasure, is worth doing well.” Doing things well usually implies effort, something many college students do not want to put forth in their wardrobe because of other priorities. Now, however, spring has arrived, and shedding winter layers to reveal spring fashion is a breeze.

Fortunately, the runways this year have made looking chic on a daily basis simple. Minimalism is making a comeback, but do not put off this style as basic. Less truly is more when it comes to style, so sticking to monochromatic outfits can still pack quite a punch. Clean lines with a twist, like an envelope skirt, add interest. Play with textures as well, like animal skin and feathers (all faux, of course). Geometric cutouts are a classy way to show off a little skin, while remaining conservative enough for class. Minimalist pieces go with everything; you can make them work for day and night. Take a simple black top with a boxy fit and cut outs on the shoulders. With jeans, black booties with a sturdy heel, and maybe even a cardigan, you have a perfect outfit for running around campus going to class. Now take the top again, add white jeans and peep toe stiletto booties, and you are ready to take NYC nightlife by storm.

As Miranda Preistly duly noted in The Devil Wears Prada, “Florals? For spring? Ground-breaking.” Although she had a point, florals will always be in for spring, just like black will always be the new black. You can always improve on perfection, however. Island prints may seem more like something from a nightmare of your family vacation to Florida 10 years ago than a fashion forward option, but trust me. Large flower prints graced the models for Michael Kors and Fendi. More affordable brands with similar styles include Banana Republic and Topshop. To avoid looking too much like a cliche American tourist circa Lilo & Stitch, pair bright colors with neutrals, like black. Loud prints are another area where minimalism can succeed in creating seamless style in an unexpected way. For example, a jumpsuit by Michael Kors features a bright, sky blue background with a large floral print. The sweet-heart strapless neckline keeps the ensemble youthful, along with the trendy jumpsuit silhouette. Add a belt for texture, interest and shape. I love a heel with jumpsuits, and viola! You have a simple yet playful look for spring that is flattering for many body types.

Another classic piece that is getting an update this season is chambray, a lighter more breathable version of denim for warm weather. All-denim outfits are everywhere, but if you find that you look more farmer than runway, invest in a simple chambray dress that provides a clean canvas for endless outfits. Ones with a slight v-neck and three quarter length sleeves are universally flattering and can work for day or night. Felt floppy hats in burgundy, black, or tan and strappy sandals give off a boho vibe. But a dark belt and heels (wedges are a more casual option) are perfect for date night on Arthur Ave. Chambray is not limited to just clothes, though. Take old jeans and DIY a chambray headband, a super trendy piece that also incorporates the ’70s theme featured on the runways. YouTube has good videos on DIY-ing with denim, including creating cute shorts with lace cutouts (a personal favorite).

Staying on trend does not have to cost a lot when your shoes go with everything. Christina D’Ambrosio, writer for hit blog College Fashionista says, “Looking for a versatile piece that’ll transition your winter wardrobe into warmer weather? Giving you a perfect solution to all of those days between boots and flip flop seasons, a cute pair of sneakers will be your spring BFF. Match high-top Converse or Vans with a skirt for an adorable look that’ll work for any occasion this season.” They are practical for outdoor events, class and even for a casual date.

For accessories, asymmetrical earrings are everywhere. Forever 21 and H&M are classic places to stock up on cheap jewelry that is on point and sure to complete an outfit. Cool earring backings and mismatched combinations are the perfect dose of interest. Chokers are also in, but they can be intimidating. I recommend trying one when you go out one night with a simple outfit; you’ll love the confidence surge. Brandy Melville has simple ones, like thin black velvet, and Claire’s has cheap ones too.

Makeup and hair are icing on the cake, and there are some styles that are particularly on trend this season. Messy buns get the hair off your face and look cute. Braids are also returning, and are still just as simple as they were in kindergarten. YouTube has easy tutorials on styles that look more complicated than they are. Plum eyeshadow is very flattering on all eye colors. Use it in small amounts during the day, and build it up for night. Thus, doing fashion well doesn’t have to be hard — but always represent your own personality in what you wear.

There is one comment