Solving the Academy Awards’ Diversity Problem

By Nick DeBellis 

Many actors and actresses have raised concern over the lack of diversity at the Oscars. Courtesy of Flickr

Many actors and actresses have raised concern over the lack of diversity at the Oscars. Courtesy of Flickr.

The 2016 Academy Awards are a month away, and yet again the buzz around Hollywood has been shifted from acclaimed films and the color of the ball gowns to the skin color of the nominees. Famous actors, directors, writers and musicians have expressed their support of an “Oscar boycott.” This arose after the Academy nominated only white candidates for the major acting categories for the second consecutive year.

Thus, the question becomes whether or not the intended boycotters are justified in their threats to opt out of the ceremony, or whether their motives are self-serving.

Do the boycotters want to be recognized for their unique talents and contributions to the industry, or do they expect to be recognized exclusively for their diversity? Perhaps it is both. Nonetheless, these are real and pertinent questions that the Academy, along with those involved in the movie industry, need to address.

It is quite possible that the lack of diversity among the nominees is less the fault of the Academy and more so a result of a majority of high quality roles being given to primarily white actors. Viola Davis aptly mentioned this problem in her Emmy-winning speech last year, passionately declaring that you cannot win awards for roles that do not exist.

This is not to say that the movie industry maintains an inherently divisive approach, but producers can certainly improve when it comes to employing more diverse casts when applicable, especially with the growing percentage of minorities in the United States.

Unfortunately, the way the scenario has unfolded presents a problem for those who must deal with it.

Certainly, the intentions of the dissenters are noble and just in that they would like to see a broader range of people represented in the nominating process. However, the solution to that problem is undeniably more vague.

In other words, should the Academy be required to meet certain quotas in reference to the actors and actresses who receive nominations and awards? If so, does that not undermine the concept of the prestigious award show? Should it not be just to distribute awards on the sole basis of merit?

It seems as though the solution to the present problem lies within the concept of transparency. According to a 2012 Los Angeles Times article, “the roster of all 5,765 voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a closely guarded secret.” The reason for this have never been truly revealed despite the long history of the Academy Awards.

Why not reveal the names of all the members of the Academy who voted and how they voted? This would be a more effective way to determine whether the Academy voters reflect in private what they preach in public. After all, the movie industry does indeed promote itself as a beacon of openness, inclusion and societal awareness.
However, it seems as though the Academy’s insistence upon maintaining its current course is indicative of their recent preference for secrecy, seclusion and indifference to demonstrate an appropriate level of social sensitivity.

Perhaps the boycotters would be better served demonstrating their frustration at the event itself, as opposed to doing so from a distance. The boycotters and their supporters should make themselves available as presenters and entertainers because the issue has to be dealt with directly and on stage.

Chris Rock, the African-American host of the event, can make clear to viewers the importance of this year’s ceremony as a defining moment in the Academy’s history.
He will have the ideal platform to address the contradictions within the Academy, which proclaims itself to be open but has shown itself to be quite the opposite, much like many American institutions in the past few years.

So if the Oscar boycotters believe they have been “dissed” by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences — and they may well have been — then they should “diss” them back and do it on stage. At the very least, Rock and the boycotters should challenge the Academy voters to be open to scrutiny. So boycotters, go ahead. “Diss” away.

But do it on stage, live with Chris Rock.

Nick DeBellis, FCRH’19, is undecided in his major from Pelham, New York.