Reinforcing Duchess Kate’s Mental Health Advocacy

Andrea Garcia/The Fordham Ram

Andrea Garcia/The Fordham Ram

By Meghan Campbell 

I am among the many people in this world who are huge fans of the royal family, and more specifically Kate Middleton. I watched the royal wedding live from home as if it were the Super Bowl, got extremely excited both times she announced she was pregnant and watched the Lifetime film William and Kate several times. Is this normal behavior? Probably not, but that’s OK.

Among the Duchess’ many qualities that have made her an incredible role model is her dedication to charity work. Most recently, as a guest editor for The Huffington Post, she wrote about the significance of childhood mental health.

In her article, she stressed the importance of addressing any signs of mental illness among children and making sure parents let their kids know that they can talk about their emotions.

“For too long we have been embarrassed to admit when our children need emotional or psychiatric help, worried the stigma associated with these problems would be detrimental to their futures,” stated the Duchess.

I could not agree more with what she is advocating for and feel as though this is a subject that is not touched upon enough in our society.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) one in five children in the U.S. has a debilitating mental disorder. These disorders include depression, bipolar disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and anxiety disorder.

While these disorders are becoming more apparent throughout society, there is still a stigma when someone is diagnosed with a mental disability. It is seen as a negative reflection of the individual and his or her family.

This is where the problem lies. While communities across the world are creating facilities for those suffering from mental illnesses to seek treatment and support, there are still many people struggling to address the fact that they might have an issue or are unsure about how to reach out for help.

The Duchess went on to explain that mental illnesses that go unaddressed during childhood could have a seriously negative effect throughout the rest of one’s life. She touched upon the connection between an individual’s unattended mental disorder and destructive actions, such as drug abuse or suicide. Through this behavior, the individual suffering from a mental illness often unintentionally hurts those around them.

We must end the taboo that goes along with mental disorders, both among children and adults, so that this unnecessary harm can be avoided. By assuring those around us that they are safe to talk about their feelings without judgment, we could potentially make someone’s decision to seek help that much easier.

Mental illnesses are not a reflection of parenting. They do not make someone weaker or any less of a person than someone without a mental illness. They are disorders that one should not feel embarrassed or shameful about. They are just as important to treat as any other illness, and should be approached as such.

Princess Kate ended her article by introducing “Young Minds Matter,” a series dedicated to mental health among youths and how communities can take part in helping future generations. After her article was posted, Princess Kate received worldwide support from people suffering from mental illnesses, people with a child or friend suffering from mental illnesses and people fighting for the same cause. The hashtag #youngmindsmatter spread across Twitter like wildfire, gaining support from many, including First Lady Michelle Obama.

Causes such as this are crucial for spreading the type of mindset society must adopt in order to help past, future and current generations acknowledge and treat mental illnesses.

There is one comment

1. haroldamaio

—-“For too long we have been embarrassed to admit when our children need emotional or psychiatric help, worried the stigma associated with these problems would be detrimental to their futures,” stated the Duchess.

That Kate has learned to attach a stigma, does not mean that you have to do so. Rise above her expressed prejudice. Do not make it your own.