The Oscars in Review: Red Carpets and Racial Tensions

By Katherine Kelly

The winning actors pose with their Oscars at the 88th Academy Awards. Jordan Strauss/AP

While many Hollywood royals were busy glamming for their big night, other industry veterans ridiculed and protested the 88th Academy Awards for the lack of diversity in nominees. Racial tensions in America are at the forefront of sociopolitical discussion, most recently sparking criticism of Hollywood as “racist” and a “white boys club.”

To calm tensions as best as he could, host Chris Rock opened the show with a comedic monologue that humorously addressed racism in the film industry. Rock sarcastically suggested having separate categories for blacks as essentially the same as having separate categories for acting for men and women. He also poked fun at his friend Kevin Hart, who always seems to be making movies despite the lack of opportunities for black actors. Given the circumstances, Rock made the most of a controversial issue and set the stage for a spectacular evening.

The theme of social awareness continued throughout the night as perhaps the most political public figure of the night took the stage: Vice President Joe Biden. Biden received a standing ovation from the audience, applauding him for his remarks on the violent rape culture in America. The second-in-command of our nation combined with the presence of Hollywood created a powerful and unified viewing experience.

Following the vice president, Lady Gaga used talent to address the issue of rape with her song “Til It Happens To You.” Beside her on stage stood rape victims who joined hands in solidarity at the end of the performance. Hollywood demonstrated its support for the victims and call for action as they stood in applause. The camera cut to several actors with tears in their eyes and open arms. Such an emotional segment created a somber tone in the room, sharply contrasting the laughs that opened the night.

In a moment long awaited, the build up to Leonardo DiCaprio’s win created countless memes circulating on social media. DiCaprio won his first best actor award for his performance in The Revenant after years of falling short of the honor. He received a standing ovation from fellow acting elites, followed by hugs and kisses from old friend and Titanic costar Kate Winslet. Social media had a field day with the adorable photos of the two, as well as pictures of the victorious DiCaprio. His win generated even more meme creations – this time featuring his golden statue. To complement his picture perfect looks and talent, he delivered an eloquent speech that addressed environmental concerns, a notable passion of his.

Excitement was in store for the mastermind behind The Revenant as well. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu won best director for the second year in a row, an accolade that he shares with few others. Many anticipated this victory and were eager to congratulate the director for being the first to win the best director for two consecutive years since Joseph L. Mankiewicz in 1950 and 1951.

Best actress went to newcomer at the Academy, Brie Larson, for her role in Room. But the real star of the show was her co-star, the adorable Jacob Tremblay. Tremblay strutted the red carpet like a seasoned professional and stopped to show off his Star Wars socks.

Best picture, arguably the biggest honor and last award of the night, went to Spotlight. Spotlight’s victory was a nice change of pace from the majorly Mad Max: Fury Road dominated ceremony. Mad Max picked up the honors in several categories, making audience members who have not seen the film now feel compelled to do so.

As the night came to a very late end, Chris Rock laughed off the fact that the ceremony was continuing significantly over time. Rock’s daughters sold Girl Scout cookies to audience members as he teased that the actors had plenty of money to spare. Hollywood’s richest waved bills in the air, eager to help out Rock’s daughters, and, of course, to munch on some of America’s favorite cookies.

The cookie craze sparked more material for social media buzz. This years’ extensive social media coverage of the Oscars made the funniest, most exciting and most interesting moments of the ceremony circulate on the Internet for days following. The biggest night in Hollywood extends to a week- long saga, with the glitz and gossip lingering on the world stage.