Taim Restaurant: A Falafel Find That Won’t Break the Bank

By Allison Russo 

Food Falafel

**FOR USE WITH AP LIFESTYLES** Sun-dried Tomato Falafel in Pita is seen in this Sunday, May 18, 2008 photo. Beverly Lynn Bennett’s recent book, “Vegan Bites”, helps vegans with small-batch recipes like this Sun-dried Tomato Falafel in Pita. (AP Photo/Larry Crowe)

Falafel is the ultimate street food in New York City. And while I’m always up for a late-night Halal Guys bite on the way home, one of my favorite NYC lunch spots is Taim. For a couple of extra dollars, you get a high-quality, flavor-packed falafel sandwich at this bustling spot.

Taim markets itself as a falafel and smoothie bar, with locations in Nolita and the West Village. Both storefronts have limited seating and are definitely “grab and go” types of places. I would recommend checking it out on a sunny day and having lunch outdoors. They also have a food truck, Taim Mobile, which rotates between FiDi, Flatiron and West SoHo during the week—perfect for a midday work lunch! Everything on the menu is vegetarian, but the amazing sandwiches will make both meat-lovers and veggie fanatics believe that a better falafel is possible. To add to the deliciousness, all of the homemade falafel is gluten free, and the produce is locally sourced when possible.

The falafel sandwiches here are definitely a little fancier than the standard halal cart. At the legendary Halal Guys, the options are pretty much limited to white sauce or hot sauce. Taim has taken things to the next level and offers three flavors: green, red and Harissa. Green is the traditional version, made with parsley, cilantro and mint. If you’re looking for something a little spicier, try the Harissa, made with Tunisian spices, or the red flavor, which is falafel mixed with roasted red peppers. Every sandwich also comes with plenty of hummus, Israeli salad and tahini. Mix it up by adding toppings like mango chutney, homemade hot sauce and feta cheese. Since I’m a falafel purist, I recommend keeping things simple but flavorful with the green falafel on whole wheat pita, topped with a dash of hot sauce and extra tahini.

If you’re not a huge fan of falafel, Taim has a number of amazing salads and side dishes. If you’re being a little less health-conscious, I definitely recommend the house made french fries, which are served with a super tasty saffron aioli. The fried eggplant is also an incredibly tasty way to eat your veggies. If you are trying to eat healthy, the salads are packed with good stuff like kale, quinoa and almonds, and you’ll want to put the homemade lemon-mint dressing on everything.

For an afternoon snack, Taim’s smoothies are the perfect pick-me-up. You can choose from their signature menu or create your own concoction. For something refreshing, I recommend the strawberry, raspberry and Thai basil smoothie. You can add things like soy milk, wheat grass and vitamin C for an extra boost.

A falafel sandwich and a fountain drink at Taim costs just under $10, so it really is an affordable NYC lunch spot. The next time you’re downtown, pop by for a healthy and satisfying bite.