Covered in the Colors: Songs for Spring

By Meredith Nardino

Halsey’s rise as an artist last year is due to her powerful lyrics and cool sound. Courtesy of Flickr

Creating brief playlists like this one is sometimes challenging because of diverse music in the world. Rather than choosing songs that sound identical to one another, I wanted to see how a playlist could flow seamlessly because of one similar concept.

This is an exploration of songs that all bring a little color to our lives, and also happen to bend traditional rules of genre.

1.“Colors” – Halsey

Halsey was arguably one of the most exciting new artists of the last year. Her meteoric rise to the top of the charts following the release of her debut album, Badlands, proved the power of female vocalists in the world of pop music.

“Colors” is one of the album’s highlights, showcasing an ingenuity that is often lacking in average Top 40 tunes. Halsey’s poetic lyrics and airy vocals perfectly complement the song’s powerful melody, making this song a guaranteed earworm.

2.“Black Mambo” – Glass Animals

Glass Animals produce music just psychedelic enough to make you feel like you’re walking through a jungle in outer space. “Black Mambo” is one of the group’s better-known tracks, and it artfully combines aspects of electronica and indie rock.

The hypnotic vocals and precise percussion allow listeners to slip into a dreamlike state. This song is unique in many ways – it is synthetic and mainstream, organic and underground.

3.“Cool Blue” – The Japanese House

Amber Bain gradually gained popularity last year with the help of George Daniel and Matty Healy of The 1975. Bain’s sound is so original and personal that it completely engulfs audiences in waves of melancholic melodies. “Cool Blue” demonstrates Bain’s artistic prowess in ways that highlight her human vulnerabilities and her affinity for mystery.

Bain’s ambiguous vocal tone inspired her to create a sound that could defy the boundaries of gender. With every strained chord and mesmerizing chorus, it is evident her heart and soul drain shamelessly into her work.

4.“Red Lips I Know” – Swim Deep

Swim Deep took college radio by surprise in 2012 with their single “King City.” Before their recent dramatic change in sound, these Brits brought together modern elements of indie-pop with hints of 90’s grunge to create their own “grunge-pop” category.

The somewhat distant vocals and spacey chord progressions match the description of their self-proclaimed genre almost too perfectly. “Red Lips I Know” is an upbeat and light easy listen for a summer day.

5.“Close to Gold” – Hippo Campus

One word to describe Minnesota-group, Hippo Campus, is young. They formed shortly after graduating from a performing arts high school just a few years ago, and quickly built a loyal local following. What is so special about their sound is the joy that radiates from every note.

Lead singer, Jake Luppen, demonstrates a vast range, easily alternating between a rough, raspy tone and a more delicate one. “Close to Gold” brings the band’s exciting, natural ability to the forefront, proving their talent is beyond their years.

6.“Sound and Color” – Alabama Shakes

Since their 2012 debut, Alabama Shakes have fascinated audiences with their artistry. There is no denying the fact that Brittany Howard is one of the most talented vocalists in music today. Everything about her is authentic and compelling, two traits that are extremely evident in “Sound and Color.”

True to its title, this song sounds like how the inside of a kaleidoscope looks – individual bursts of brilliant color all blend in perfect unity, something that could only be achieved by a group as groundbreaking as Alabama Shakes.