The Best New Books to Read in Summer 2016

By Nicole Fiorica 

With the semester drawing to a close and the promise of free time looming closer, some may relish the opportunity to crack open a book for fun rather than for homework. You may already have several books on your to-read list — the sequel to that series you started years ago, or the memoir your aunt gave you for Christmas that is promising to shift your perspective on life — but this summer’s new releases just might be exactly what you are craving. Whether you are looking for a book to bring to the beach, tide you over on a long flight or enjoy during your internship commute, these eight highly anticipated new fiction titles are all but guaranteed to keep you glued to the page.

“Rebel of the Sands” by Alwyn Hamilton (March 8)
Amani, a young sharpshooter, is willing to do anything to escape the dead-end town of Dustwalk, even if it means escaping into monster-ridden wastelands with a striking fugitive and the Sultan’s army in pursuit. Whether you come for the fantasy world, the inevitable romance or the thrilling adventure, this young adult title is sure to satisfy.

“Hex” by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (April 26)
A downright terrifying story about a small, quarantined town haunted by a 17th century witch set in her twisted, medieval ways and teenagers desperate to escape. This paranormal thriller, a highly anticipated translation of an originally Dutch-written bestseller, hit the shelves for the first time earlier this week.

“Zero K” by Don DeLillo (May 3)
Critically acclaimed American writer Don DeLillo brings us a story about Jeff Lockhart, a man whose billionaire father has invested in a secret compound where bodies can be preserved until future advances can bring them back to life. Questions about humanity and the choices that define us are brought to light as Jeff and his father battle over the possibilities of both present and future.

“Modern Lovers” by Emma Straub (May 31)
The bestselling author of “The Vacationers” releases a story about former college bandmates Elizabeth, Andrew and Zoe, who have all remained friends as they set up their adult lives in the same Brooklyn neighborhood. But now, as their children become adults themselves, these old friends are forced to confront the secrets that they have left buried for years.

“With Malice” by Eileen Cook (June 7)
A teenage girl wakes up in a hospital recovering from an accident that killed her best friend. The problem is that she can’t remember the accident — or anything about the last six weeks. When her affluent father assembles a lawyer and press team, she starts to wonder whether the incident was an accident at all. This young adult thriller is perfect for fans of the much-loved “We Were Liars,” or for anyone wanting to add mystery to their summer reading list.

“The Muse” by Jessie Burton (July 26)
This historical fiction weaves together the stories of Odelle and Olive. Odelle is a Caribbean immigrant in 1960s London who discovers a painting by mysterious artist Isaac Robles and is quickly drawn into a world of secrets while Olive is a bohemian Spanish woman in the 1930s whose friendship with her half-brother, aspiring painter Isaac Robles, will leave impressions for decades to come. Separated by history but brought together by art, “The Muse” turns into a captivating mystery about desire and ambition.

“Truly Madly Guilty” by Liane Moriarty (July 26)
From the bestselling author of “The Husband’s Secret” and “Big Little Lies” comes a new contemporary novel about six adults and the neighborhood barbecue that changed everything. This book is about relationships, from friendship to marriage to parenthood. As the title might suggest, the novel is also an examination of how guilt can impact every aspect of our lives.

“Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany (July 31)
Likely to be the blockbuster hit of the summer, this eighth “Harry Potter” installment follows an adult Harry and his young son Albus as they struggle with work, school and their family legacy nineteen years after the Battle of Hogwarts. Originally created as a play to open in London this summer, this script book is guaranteed to excite Potter fans by introducing a new chapter to their favorite characters’ lives.

With this summer's lineup of anticipated releases, every book lover will find a new favorite. (Courtesy of flickr)

With this summer’s lineup of anticipated releases, every book lover will find a new favorite. (Courtesy of flickr)