OVERTIME: Richard Sherman Went Too Far Following NFC Championship

By MAX PRINZ

SPORTS EDITOR

“I’m the best corner in the league. You come at me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree and that’s the result you gonna get.”

In just his third year in the NFL, Seattle’s Richard Sherman has become one of the most polarizing players in the league. (Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia)

There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. On Sunday night, Richard Sherman ran full speed past that line.

Sherman delivered the most infamous postgame interview since Kevin Garnett’s “anything is possible!” It was, undoubtedly, an interview that made for great TV. Within minutes, it was turned into Vine videos and uploaded to YouTube. It would be accurate to call it epic. But, it was also the act of a clown.

During the NFC Championship broadcast, Beats By Dre released the newest ad for their headphones. The commercial features Sherman, who is seen surrounded by media at his locker. The questions from media visibly agitate Sherman. One asks him about his reputation as a thug. Sherman, clearly frustrated, smartly decides to put on his new Beats headphones to “hear what he wants.”

The striking differences between these two Sherman appearances amaze me. Sherman acted in a completely classless manner on Sunday. Taunting Crabtree after the play was childish. His interview with Erin Andrews will only increase his reputation as a thug.

Sherman attempted to explain his actions in a column he wrote for Sports Illustrated on Monday. He was, unsurprisingly, unapologetic.

“To those who would call me a thug or worse because I show passion on a football field—don’t judge a person’s character by what they do between the lines,” Sherman wrote. “Judge a man by what he does off the field, what he does for his community, what he does for his family.”

Even though he doesn’t like it, Sherman is judged by his character on the field. His actions at the end of the Seahawks’ win show him to be arrogant. Taunting, making a choke sign at 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick — these are not the actions of a champion. His actions don’t exactly make him a thug, but they do make him a poor winner.

There is no doubt that it was entertaining. It was very fitting that the game’s deciding play was made by Sherman, but he handled himself very poorly afterwards.

Sherman should take some notes from Peyton Manning. The Broncos QB handled himself with grace and poise on Sunday. Between the lines he was a true leader, and after the game he was quick to acknowledge his teammates and give credit to the Patriots.

Manning should have been the story of the weekend. He gave a surgical and dominant performance on a grand stage, throwing for 400 yards and a pair of excellent touchdown passes. Denver had its two longest touchdown drives of the season and finished with over 35 minutes of possession. Manning’s ability to read New England’s defense and control the clock was incredible to watch. He soundly defeated his nemesis and carried himself flawlessly throughout the day. Both his character and performance were exceptional.

In his column, Sherman argued that what he said to Andrews was fueled by adrenaline.

“It was loud, it was in the moment and it was just a small part of the person I am,” Sherman said.

Part of that is true. It takes an incredible amount of passion and adrenaline to play football in the NFL. But, shouldn’t part of playing at the highest level come with the ability to harness and control that passion and adrenaline? Shouldn’t leaders express discipline and composure?

Sherman failed to do that on Sunday, and he looked bad in the process.

Categories: Overtime, Sports