News

Flu Shots Available to All (For a Price)

By Erin Shanahan

Vaccination is known to be one of the best ways to protect against the flu.  Fordham University uses Maxim Health Service to host a flu shot clinic on both the Rose Hill and Lincoln Center campuses.  As a result, Fordham urges all those on campus to get vaccinated in order to protect the rest of the Fordham community from influenza outbreaks.

Last year, Fordham University Health Services gave out approximately 500 vaccines to the student body.  This year, they have already given out about 250.

To get a flu shot, call the University Health Services for an appointment.  Though some insurances cover flu shots, other students need to pay $25 for the vaccine.

Kathleen Malara, executive director of Student Health Services, is in charge of ordering, advertising and administering Fordham’s flu shots.

“Getting the flu vaccine does not cause anyone to get the flu,” she commented. “If they fall sick immediately after, it’s because they were already infected with the virus. Getting the vaccine doesn’t mean they will absolutely not get the virus; however, they will be less ill than someone who did not get the vaccine. They need to get a vaccine each year because each year the strains are different, so the vaccines are different.”

According to the Center for Disease Control, the vaccination rate among groups such as pregnant women and health care workers was about 34.2 percent. Interestingly, the vaccination rate among college students was only 10 percent.

This low vaccination rate among college students is probably not just due to a lack of information about the flu shot’s benefits. Rather, it may be caused by a lack of time or motivation to make an appointment.

In addition, the lack of a past vaccination history may cause this low rate among college students.

“To be honest I never have had a flu shot. I don’t have anything against getting one, it has just never been part of my norm back home,” said Holly Niedzwiecki, FCRH ’18.

Some others theorize that students are hesitant to receive vaccinations due to a false sense of health security. However, close living situations, shared restrooms and constant, varied activity make disease contraction easy.

As a result, Fordham urges students to take advantage of the University Health Services and make an appointment for a vaccination as soon as possible.

November 5, 2014