Prince Coffee House Brews a New Cafe Experience in the Bronx

By Emma Nanamaker

Prince Coffee House offers a trendy and airy environment to enjoy great coffee. (Emma Nanamaker/The Fordham Ram).

It was four in the afternoon and the new spring sun peered through a cherry blossom tree just outside Prince Coffee House. With windows for walls, Arthur Ave’s latest addition opened to greet the warm weather and an eclectic group of customers. This lively, sun-filled cafe brings a contemporary flare to the traditional character of Arthur Ave.

It may only be four weeks old, but the cafe is bustling with local families, students and tourists. Mimi, a bubbly server and Bronx resident, welcomed me at the door with a smile.

The smooth wooden tables and neatly-crafted espresso drinks, alongside a pleasant variety of pastries and desserts, all contributed to a feeling of hospitality that carried through the rest of my dining experience.

“I love all of the different people that stop in,” Mimi said. “There is such a great blend of cultures in this neighborhood.”

For Fordham students, Prince Coffee House is not as much of a grab-and-go coffee shop as it is a destination. If you are craving a cafe with a Manhattan aesthetic minus the fast pace and Metro North ticket, all you have to do is stroll down to 2306 Arthur Avenue. Prince’s trendy decor transports you into a modern wonderland with the perfect backdrop for your latte art Instagram post or midday study session.

Tin mugs and vintage light bulbs hang haphazardly from the ceiling, and a bright Eastern European mural adorns the main counter built out of reclaimed wood. The coffee shop features different seating sections: the front area with various small tables for a lunch date with a friend, a back room with an eclectic wooden table for large groups and a stylish, dimly lit basement that can function as a remote working station for students.

From start to finish, the experience is centered around the customer. Drinks and desserts are brought to your table, and dishes are bussed for you. The staff is friendly and passionate—the elaborate designs in your cappuccino froth are not just for show, but rather proof that the barista properly steamed the milk to hold its form.

For an interactive caffeinated experience, try the Turkish coffee—very strong, very unique and very fun to pour from one fancy mug to another. If you want something sweeter but still exotic, order the Thai mocha, which coats your throat with a warm blend of coffee, chocolate and caramel.

Food-wise, there are plenty of options to satisfy a sweet tooth, including creamy, fresh tiramisu and a berry cheesecake with delectable layers of crumbled graham cracker, cream cheese and mixed berry jam. High New York City prices are warranted at an establishment where coffee making is treated like an art and the customers are made to feel at home.

A fantastic cup of coffee is enough to make any place a neighborhood fixture. If that place also serves delicious food, with a few standout items, it is destined to become a local institution. Prince Coffee House offers a memorable experience for coffee and cake lovers or anyone who wants to find off-campus serenity without traveling too far.