Emphasizing the Importance of Autism Awareness

By Ellie Bruckner

(Jack Brennan/ The Fordham Ram)

(Jack Brennan/ The Fordham Ram)

The month of April is officially National Autism Awareness Month. Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) refers to a group of developmental disabilities that often affect a person’s social and communication skills. According to the Autism Society, about one percent of the world’s population is on the autism spectrum.

However, the prevalence rate in the United States is one in every 68 births. This rate is nearly twice as high as it was in 2004, when ASD was diagnosed in one in 125 children.

Additionally, as the fastest growing developmental disorder, some researchers such as MIT’s Stephanie Seneff predict that half of children born in 2025 will be diagnosed with ASD. While awareness, proper diagnosis and inclusion of all aspects of the spectrum have increased over the past few decades, more must be done to understand, support and include the autism community.

Symptoms of ASD usually appear during an infant’s first 18 to 24 months, but become very clear and apparent from years two to six. Although autism is not curable, it is treatable. While children do not “outgrow” autism, it has been shown that early diagnosis and appropriate care can lead to significantly improved outcomes and quality of life.

Increasing accessibility to high quality preschool education and funding for more early intervention programs are crucial in diagnosing and addressing ASD early on. While the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 provides federal grants to start early intervention programs, increased funding from outside sources would ensure that students with ASD are given the quality education that they need and deserve.

It is important to note that people with ASD need assistance later in life as well. In 2014, only 16.8% of the population of people with disabilities in the U.S. were employed. Programs that are designed to educate those on the spectrum about employment opportunities and provide job training are resources that should not be forgotten. Adult education is just as important as early education for integrating people on the spectrum into the working world.

While advocating for the accessibility of educational resources for autistic students is important, other types of initiatives, such as supporting social movements, are just as necessary. Understanding that ASD manifests itself differently in individuals and knowing what it can look like are equally important. Although awareness has increased, there is still a stigma around those who are “different.” We can reduce this stigma by reaching out to people who are on the spectrum, developing friendships and creating an environment that promotes inclusion.

If you do not know someone personally affected by ASD, there are plenty of outside opportunities to become involved. There are countless organizations that match mentors with students with ASD, giving students an increased sense of belonging while increasing their social and communication skills.

In addition, early intervention classrooms are always looking for volunteers to help them in their classrooms. Here in the Bronx, the Harry H. Gordon School on Bathgate Ave., is home to several early intervention classrooms and seeks Fordham students to assist in their classrooms every semester.

If you had asked me a few years ago to explain autism, I would have had little to say other than that it is a developmental disability. Over the past couple of years, however, I have had the opportunity to work with people on the spectrum, starting in high school when I was a mentor for a young girl with autism. These experiences have helped me to understand how vast the spectrum is in terms of ability and yet how unique and capable these individuals are.

A few decades ago, the full extent of autism was not fully understood. Few resources were available to people and families of those affected by ASD. It was not considered to be a spectrum, and diagnosis was limited and often missed. As organizations have increased in numbers and awareness has become increasingly popular, resources for people with ASD have drastically increased. Understanding what ASD is and being aware of how it affects a person’s life is important, but doing something to end the stigma around the spectrum once and for all is equally necessary.

As the month of April comes to an end, we must not let the initiatives about autism acceptance and support fade as well.