A Guide to Netflix: Winter Break Edition

By MEGAN CATTEL
STAFF WRITER

BF3hbyKnjGG0C8_kGr3sbmdexai11gcl031R7t3EAcA

Bob’s Burgers, one of the strongest offerings from FOX’s “Animation Domination,” is available for streaming on Netflix. (Photo courtesy of NetflixSTAFF WRITER

Have you just finished watching all the episodes of “30 Rock” online and need another show to obsess over? Is the latest season of “How I Met Your Mother” ripping you to shreds with its lagging plot? Or did the Red Wedding scene of “Game of Thrones” suck out all the happiness and hope you possibly had in the world?

Luckily, Thanksgiving recess and winter break are fast approaching, which means there will be plenty of time to start a new television show during a light Netflix binge. Because what is a vacation from school without sprawling on the couch in sweatpants while cradling a bowl of Cheetos as you click “Next Episode” with zombie-like reflexes? The shows below are short and sweet, ranging from one to four seasons at best and meant to be a brief distraction from reality. With that being said, kick back, relax and enjoy the beautiful hypnosis that awaits you.

“Sherlock” (Two Seasons)

Fans of “CSI”, “Criminal Minds” and British dramas such as “Downton Abbey” should be familiar with the BBC program. “Doctor Who” screenwriters Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss conceived the idea for the miniseries while brainstorming how 19th century detective Sherlock Holmes would solve mysteries in today’s modern world. Incorporating familiar technology like forensics, computer hacking and contemporary concerns such as conspiracy theories and terrorist attacks, the show paints a realistic portrait of a believable Holmes for viewers. The show’s structure is unique to American audiences, featuring three episodes per season with each lasting approximately an hour and a half, which makes the storytelling all the more gripping and cinematic. Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays the titular character, has since gained fame through his roles in Star Trek into Darkness and The Hobbit, no doubt due to his stunning performance as the manic investigator.

“Louie” (Three Seasons) 

With the third season recently added on Netflix, “Louie” follows the misadventures of well-known standup comedian Louis C.K. The show has a downtrodden yet wacky tone, as Louie is captured on camera battling the struggles of middle-aged disillusionment. Cynical Louie is often met with dead ends and short-lived scenarios, all while dealing with being a divorced parent and raising two young daughters. There is little continuity between the episodes and the unconventional style leaves room for “extended vignettes” to run its course with wry toilet humor. Clips of Louie’s standup are inserted throughout each half-hour long episode as a means to parallel a particular storyline.

“Bob’s Burgers” (Two Seasons) 

I know what you’re thinking. A cartoon? Yet “Bob’s Burgers” eschews a smart, frank humor without the vulgarity that is characteristic of “Family Guy,” “The Simpsons” or “South Park”. Bob and his family, the Belchers, stand alone from these other aforementioned animated sitcoms, and instead capture the fun in dysfunctional, not unlike the Bluths in “Arrested Development.” As for the plot, the Belchers own a grimy burger joint, which is often the central setting for the episode and managed by Mrs. Linda Belcher and the kids: pubescent and insecure Tina, obnoxious Gene and temperamental smart-aleck Louise. The three children’s differing personalities, as well as Linda’s cloying nature (her character is voiced by a high-pitched John Roberts, which makes it all the more fun to watch), make for a surprising treat, enjoyable even for adults.

“Top of the Lake” (One Season) 

This Sundance TV thriller is full of twists and turns as the seven-episode series explores the mysterious circumstances of a pregnant 12-year-old girl named Tui from Laketop, New Zealand.  After a suicide attempt, Tui is taken in by the police and later flees. Investigations later turn to her father, who is the leader of an intricate drug ring. Robin Griffin (Elisabeth Moss, “Mad Men”), is the show’s protagonist as a detective who handles child-abuse cases. Beneath the drive to solve the case, the show features a lot of mythological and spiritual elements that generate a chilling mood. Gender identity is also a running theme, explored through a women’s “camp” that functions alongside the lake in which Tui attempted to drown herself during the first episode. Fans of “American Horror Story” will consume all the episodes and finish with more questions than answers. Warning: Brace yourself for some heavy duty New Zealand accents and a hefty dose of nudity.

Honorable Mention Grab Bag:  “Freaks and Geeks”, “Fringe”, “Archer”, “New Girl”, “Star Trek: The Next Generation”, “The OC” and “Hey, Arnold!”

Categories: Arts & Entertainment

Reply to The Fordham Ram

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 96 other followers

%d bloggers like this: