Fordham Defeats Sacred Heart in First Round of FCS Playoffs

​By DAN GARTLAND
EXECUTIVE SPORTS EDITOR

Seven teams have come to the Bronx to face the Fordham Rams this fall. All seven have lost. All seven have said something similar to what Sacred Heart head coach Mark Nofri said after his Pioneers fell at Jack Coffey Field on Saturday afternoon: “Obviously we ran into a great football team.”

​Sacred Heart played Fordham tight.

The Rams only led by four at the beginning of the fourth quarter. But Fordham’s offense proved once again, as it has all season, to be difficult to stop, while the Rams’ defense stood tall against Keshaudas Spence, Sacred Heart’s powerful, talented running back.

​Spence gained 194 yards on the ground, 122 of which came on a pair of long runs. For the most part, Fordham’s defense did a good job of bottling up Spence and holding him to minimal gains.

​“He’s a big guy, so you have to take him low,” Fordham safety Levon Williams said of the 230-pound Spence. “As the game went on, we started to get more aggressive, seeing we could play with him. I’m not going to lie, he’s a good player.”

​Fordham advances to take on Towson next Saturday on the road. The seventh-seeded Tigers are 10-2, having lost to Villanova (which Fordham beat earlier this year) and Delaware.

​“They’re a tremendously well-coached team,” Fordham head coach Joe Moorhead said. “They’ve been one of the top ten teams in the country over the last two years… It’s going to be a challenge, but we’re going to do what we do every week: prepare to go 1-0.”