Students, Faculty Give Thanks at Chanukah Celebration

By EDDIE MIKUS

STAFF WRITER

For the first time in 125 years, Chanukah and Thanksgiving fell on the same day. But here at Fordham, traditions were alive as the Jewish Student Organization (JSO) sponsored a Chanukah celebration on Tuesday, Dec. 3.

The event featured the lighting of Fordham’s Menorah, as well as the opportunity to try traditional Jewish foods such as potato latkes and matzo ball soup. Attendees also had the chance to participate in a Chanukah trivia contest, in which they were able to answer questions such as “Which direction do we light Chanukah candles?” and “What Hebrew month does Chanukah fall in?”

Hannah Buckley, FCRH ’16, the president of JSO, opened the event with a speech in which she explained how the festival of Chanukah began in the aftermath of the famous war involving a Jewish group known as the Maccabees fighting against Greek rulers.

“After the Maccabees defeated the Greeks, they wanted to purify the Temple by burning oil for eight days,” Buckley said in her opening statement. “But there’s only enough oil for one day, and the burned it anyway, and the miracle of Chanukah happened and the oil lasted for eight days.”

Buckley also spoke about how Chanukah occurred earlier than normal this year, which allowed her more time to reflect on the meaning of the holiday, which lasts from the 25th of the Hebrew month Kislev to the 2nd of the Hebrew month of Tivet.

“Chanukah usually falls in December, around Christmastime,” Buckley said. “But this year, we were fortunate enough to have Chanukah on Thanksgiving. And that presented us with a unique opportunity. It allowed us to see that Chanukah is more than just a chance for Jewish kids to take part in the holiday season. It showed us that Chanukah is really about being thankful. Like the Maccabees were thankful that they defeated the Greeks and that the oil lasted for eight days, I’m thankful, every day really, that I get to come to Fordham and get a top-notch education and meet all of you wonderful people.”

The Menorah lighting followed Buckley’s speech, and involved the reading of three traditional Jewish prayers. JSO members stated that this custom is normally reserved for the first night of Chanukah, with only two prayers being read on each of the other nights. However, the Jewish Student Organization decided to read all three because this was the first time the university’s Menorah had been lit this year, as well as the first university-wide Chanukah celebration.

Sarah Farber, FCRH ’14, the vice president of the JSO, said that she felt Chanukah had an added significance after a recent incident where a symbol that resembled a swastika was depicted on Martyr’s Lawn.

“I’m from a more religious background, and Chanukah has always been a holiday like any other normal Jewish holiday,” Farber said in describing the significance of Chanukah. “But I think it’s also to me, especially this year with recent events, it’s like the resilience of the Jewish people and that we’re strong. We’re going to celebrate no matter what’s going on.”

Buckley said that celebrating Jewish holidays such as Chanukah was important in acknowledging the diversity of students at a Catholic university like Fordham.

“I think it’s important to celebrate it to show that there are Jewish students on campus, and that we are just as much a part of the Fordham community as any other students,” Buckley said.

Connor O’Kane, the associate director of Campus Ministry, spoke positively about the event after its conclusion.

“I was thrilled that we were able to come together and celebrate Chanukah as a Fordham community,” O’Kane said.