Autumn Brings an Array of Seasonal Activities to Campus and NYC

Students paint pumpkins as Fordham kicks off Halloweek. Kellyn Simpkins/The Ram

By Margaret Adams

While autumn is arguably the best season in general, in New York it definitely wins for being the most beautiful time of year. The air has that special crispness, boots can finally be put into rotation and who doesn’t love everything apple and pumpkin? Without spending any money, you can enjoy the breathtaking and vibrant leaves in Central Park, or head over to the Botanical Gardens and frolic in all the leaf piles. Even though many think autumn ends Nov. 1, winter does not start until Dec. 21, so enjoy everything that autumn has to offer while you can.

Here on Fordham’s campus, Halloweek has finally arrived! For Tuesday, Oct. 28, CAB planned the “Trick or Treat Street” from 3:30-5:30 p.m. down Rose Hill Manor Drive. Also on Tuesday, Oct. 28, and Thursday, Oct. 30, Cinevents is showing Ghostbusters at 9 p.m. in Keating 1st.

On Oct. 29 at 8 p.m., Nicholas Sawicki, FCRH ‘16, will be getting everyone ready for Halloween with Fordham Ghost Stories at Rodrigues. Of course, Halloween weekend is also Family Weekend, including the Sibling Sleepover, Fordham vs. Colgate football game and Haunted Tours of Rose Hill on Saturday, Nov. 1, at 9:30 p.m. If you love costumes and singing, be sure to go to the A Capella Teaser Concert on Thursday, Oct. 30, at 6:30 p.m. in Keating 1st.  And remember, the season does not end with Halloween.

The Campus Ministry Thanksgiving food drive starts on Monday, Oct. 27. You can drop off your food donations at the Campus Ministry Office in the McGinley Center. The Emmaus Retreat is Nov. 21-23, and offers a great opportunity to get away from campus for a bit and appreciate all that autumn nature has to offer at the beautiful Goshen retreat house. For more information on retreats, go to the Fordham Campus Ministry Retreat page online.

If you think Fordham has a lot of fall events, just imagine how much more you could do in the city. From haunted houses to parades, New York City has it all.  The Botanical Gardens is hosting the Haunted Pumpkin Garden until Oct. 31 and also is ranked by TimeOut NY as the second best place in the city to see the foliage after Central Park.

On Halloween night from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., the College Group at the Met is hosting “Death Becomes You-A Haunted Event,” which explores the museum’s exhibit on mourning clothes through history and includes spooky crafts and events.  The event is free with admission, but space is limited.

Also on Halloween night The New Museum of Contemporary Art is hosting their Annual Halloween Party at 7 p.m. The party is free, but be sure to wear a great costume. If you just want to enjoy other people’s costumes, the famous Village Halloween Parade begins at 7 p.m. on Halloween night.

Sticking with the Halloween spirit, this week also hosts many haunted houses and Halloween themed events in Manhattan. Ghost tours, led by phantom-experts take you through the city finding the paranormal presence, from now until Nov. 2 through Ghosts of New York Tours. Also, Haunted Houses pop up all around Manhattan this weekend, including the Jekyll and Hyde Haunted House.

Delving into November, Oktoberfest continues with Brooklyn’s Smorgasurg every weekend until Nov. 23. This food festival showcases famous specialty meals and chefs from New York City in a food stand paradise. If you are into experimental theater, The Night Club theater group puts on interactive Drunken Shakespeare shows, where people recite Shakespearian monologues while inebriated. This event happens every day through Jan. 6 at Bar Nine in Midtown.

Since the weather is getting colder, it is more convenient to find activities to do inside. Comedy shows are a great way to hang out with friends, while keeping warm from heated studios and laughter. The Knitting Factory in Brooklyn and Kabin in the East Village are great places to look for comedy nights, as well as the Upright Citizens Brigade, which plays improv and sketch shows.

Another way to keep warm is by rushing Broadway shows. With Student Rush, tickets are more affordable and attainable the day of the show. Off-Broadway shows are just as entertaining. Look into smaller theaters in the Lower East Village and Chelsea where the shows change frequently and have amazing talent.

Even though the weather is slowly getting colder, fall is the perfect time to explore New York. With end of the season festivals and plenty of indoor activities, autumn in the city brings opportunities to try new things and get into the holiday spirit.