Tove Lo’s Electronica Pop Debut is a Dramatic, Captivating First Attempt

By Katherine Mobilia

Tove Lo, born Tove Nilsson, is an up-and-coming Swedish singer who is making a new, exciting appearance in American music. When I first discovered Tove Lo on my iTunes Radio Alternative playlist, I was automatically hooked. Her recently popular single, “Habits (Stay High),” was the first thing I heard before it hit the radio, and I was desperate to hear more of the unique sound she was offering.

Her first EP, Truth Serum, contains four songs, all with different sounds, themes and beats that are absolutely captivating. After hearing these songs, I realized that categorizing Tove Lo would be challenging to say the least. She has an alternative, almost quirky sound to her voice and her lyrics are interesting in the most dramatic and slightly off way possible. The sound of her music can range from pop to electronic from one song to the next.

While these four songs on repeat kept me entertained for months, my personal favorites being “Out of Mind” and “Habits,” I was nothing short of ecstatic when I heard that she finally released an entire album.

To no surprise, Queen of the Clouds, complete with 16 songs and three short spoken segments, was nothing short of perfect. Every song took me to a different place and a different time, whether it was my worst break-up, my best relationship or my favorite night out. While some of her lyrics can be a little strange, they are undeniably relatable and seem to sing your deepest secrets and your most erratic emotions. She appeals to the part of yourself you’d rather keep under wraps, and there’s something exciting about finding an artist that can help let those inhibitions go. I really love “Timebomb” and “Thousand Miles,” both containing beats that will get stuck in your head and lyrics that will make you want to sing along.

If you are looking for a new artist you can blast with your friends, sing along to after a huge fight with an ex or simply get addicted to, I recommend Tove Lo wholeheartedly.