Mike Nebrich Out Against Colgate With Appendicitis

football-12-michael-rezin
Senior quarterback Mike Nebrich has appendicitis and will not play this weekend against Colgate (Mike Rezin/The Fordham Ram)

By Max Prinz

Senior quarterback Mike Nebrich confirmed that he had surgery Wednesday night to remove his appendix and will not play this Saturday in the Rams’ contest against Colgate, Nebrich is also unlikely to play next Friday night, Nov. 7, when the Rams travel to Bucknell.

Nebrich’s classmate, Peter Maetzold, will instead get the start at QB for the Rams.

The loss of Nebrich is a big one for the Rams, who currently rank second in the FCS in passing offense. Individually, Nebrich is second in the FCS in passing yards, third in passing touchdowns and is one of the leaders  of a team that averages 44 points per game. He had also been on a hot streak, throwing for 1,886 yards, 18 touchdowns and just one interception in Fordham’s last four games. 

A start Saturday would not be a first for Maetzold. The starter for four games during the 2011 season, Maetzold stepped in last year as well, spelling Nebrich during a knee injury. Maetzold led the Rams to a win against Bucknell in 2013, completing 21 of 35 passes for 317 yards and one touchdown. He also threw for 305 yards and two touchdowns in last season’s 27-14 loss to Lafayette.

Maetzold has also relieved Nebrich in six games this season and completed eight of 14 passes for 88 yards and a touchdown in those six appearances.

Max Prinz is the Sports Editor for the Fordham Ram