Ram Defeat Raiders, 37-13, Move One Step Closer to Patriot League Title

College football players often receive full scholarships and expenses-paid college education, but should they be paid? (Michael Rezin/The Ram)

Senior quarterback Peter Maetzold threw three touchdowns in the Rams’ win over Colgate. (Michael Rezin/The Ram)

By Max Prinz

Fordham football put itself on the inside track to a Patriot League title on a wet, chilly Saturday at Jack Coffey Field, defeating Colgate, 37-13 for its seventh straight victory.

Despite a number of sloppy plays in the wet conditions, the Rams took care of business on their home field, putting up 459 yards of total offense and making momentum-shifting plays on both defense and special teams.

Senior quarterback Peter Maeztold started in place of Mike Nebrich, who had his appendix removed Wednesday night. Maetzold completed 27 of 38 passes for 279 yards and 3 touchdowns in a very efficient performance.

Head coach Joe Moorhead praised his entire team after the game, highlighting its resiliency in the face a midweek quarterback change.

“I couldn’t be more proud of this team,” Moorhead said. “We do not accept nor give excuses, and we do not flinch.”

Maetzold said his preparation during the week played an important role in his success on Saturday.

“You accept your position on the team but when your number is called you want to perform your best,” Maetzold said. “Coach Moorhead does a great job preparing not only the starters, but the backups as well.”

Freshman running back Chase Edmonds struggled in the first half against the Raiders, but still managed to pace the Fordham offense. He turned in another 100-yard performance, his eighth of the year, rushing for 114 yards on 25 carries and two scores.

The Rams also received a boost from their special teams when, in the first quarter, senior Brett Biestek broke through the Colgate offensive line on fourth down to block the Raiders’ first punting attempt. Biestek’s classmate Levon Williams scooped up the ball and took it to the one yard line to set up the Rams’ first touchdown.

Maetzold found senior Tebucky Jones after a play-action fake just two plays later to put the Rams on the board first. Jones and the rest of the receiving corps did not miss a beat despite catching passes from a less familiar quarterback.

“Not just the receivers, but the whole team had confidence in Peter,” Jones said. “We just wanted to go out, work hard and do our jobs and we knew Peter would put the ball where it needed to be.

After the Rams forced a Colgate turnover on downs on the possession following the touchdown, the Fordham offense came back out and scored its second straight touchdown. Maetzold capped a five-play 69-yard drive by leading Jones with a gorgeous pass for a 31-yard score.

The Rams got another impact play from their defense to start the second half when Ian Williams made his second interception of the season. Maetzold then led the Rams down the field for another touchdown after the turnover, this one a 14-yard pass to senior Brian Wetzel. With less than five minutes gone in the second half, the Rams held a 25-6 advantage.

The Fordham defense played even stronger in the second half, only allowing Colgate to score in the final two minutes when substitutes were in. Raiders’ quarterback Bret Mooney had a miserable day. He was picked off three times and completed just five of his 18 passes for 73 yards.

With the win, the Rams improve to 8-1 on the year and 4-0 in the Patriot League. The team can clinch a Patriot League championship with a win Friday, Nov. 7 at Bucknell, something Moorhead says would be very special for the team and this year’s senior class.

“We came in here and there was a long way to go,” Moorhead said. “For us to be able to come in at the point where these guys were and get to a 6-5 and then get to where we are now, I think it’ll bring good closure. ”

Max Prinz is the Sports Editor for the Fordham Ram.