Lafayette Ends Fordham’s Undefeated Season

By DAN GARTLAND
EXECUTIVE SPORTS EDITOR

EASTON, Pa. — On the way to compiling a 10-0 record, Fordham had some tremendous upsets, with wins over Villanova, Temple and Lehigh, but the Rams had the tables turned on them Saturday afternoon, as they fell to Lafayette on the road, 27-14.

“My comment to the team after the game was, ‘Things that we want to accomplish as a team are still in front of us,’” Fordham head coach Joe Moorhead said after the game.

The loss casts a certain amount of doubt on Fordham’s postseason chances.

The Rams — ineligible for the Patriot League championship because they began offering athletic scholarships before the rest of the League — now must hope to secure one of the 10 at-large bids to the FCS playoffs.

“To us, it’s a one-game season to see if we earn another game,” Moorhead said. “I feel confident in what we’ve done. We’re 10-1 with the opportunity to be 11-1. The only thing we can control is how we prepare this week and how play against Colgate. If we’re fortunate enough to win, then hopefully the body of work we put together is good enough to earn us a postseason bid.”

Still, a 10-1 record is quite impressive for a team that was 1-10 only two years ago.

“It shows how far we’ve come as a program that we’re stinging after a loss, but we’re still 10-1,” Moorhead said. 

Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J., president of the university, told The Fordham Ram after the game: “The team has had a remarkable run, during which they have both represented Fordham very, very well, and raised the spirits of the entire Fordham family.”

Looking forward, he added: “They hit a wall today, but will come back with their signature grittiness and never-say-die attitude next week. And they will prevail.”

Connor Ryan contributed reporting from New York.

There is one comment

1. tennis recruitment

That is very attention-grabbing, You are a
    very professional blogger. I have joined your feed and
    sit up for in the hunt for more of your excellent post.
    Also, I have shared your website in my social networks