Men’s Soccer Edges Fairfield for First Win

Fordham men's soccer edged Fairfield 3-2 on Saturday. Zack Miklos/The Fordham Ram

Fordham men’s soccer edged Fairfield 3-2 on Saturday. Zack Miklos/The Fordham Ram

By Tara Cangialosi

While Fordham students and alumni spent Saturday at the homecoming festivities, the Fordham men’s soccer team traveled to Fairfield University to take on the Stags at 7 p.m.

In the first meeting between the two Jesuit schools in 18 years, the Rams edged the Stags 3-2 in a close match-up against head coach Jim McElderry’s alma mater. It was the first time McElderry faced off against Fairfield, where he played as an undergraduate and served as an assistant coach for ten years before making the switch to Fordham.

After playing two double overtime games last week against Lafayette and Army — both of which ended in draws — the Rams looked to bounce back on the road.

The scoring began in the 28th minute, when Fordham earned a corner kick. Freshman Janos Loebe sent the ball across and sophomore defender Christopher Bazzinni connected with his head for the finish to give the Rams a 1-0 lead.

It was Bazzinni’s first goal of the season, and the third of his collegiate career after starting all 21 games as a freshman last season.

“As a defender, you only get a few opportunities a game to contribute offensively,” Bazzinni said. “I don’t really expect to score any goals so I was just really happy that I was able to score in such an important game for our team.”

The score would remain 1-0 going into the second half, but Fairfield almost got back in the game in the 53rd minute. After a scrum in the box, the Stags were awarded a penalty kick.

Fairfield’s Dominic Marshall took the kick, but Fordham’s freshman goalkeeper Rashid Nuhu came up with a dynamic save by diving to the lower corner.

“At that time we were leading 1-0, and if they equalized, the game could have easily changed,” Nuhu said. “Saving the penalty, I think I got my team going.”

Fordham increased their lead to 2-0 in the 72nd minute off of another corner kick, this one coming from a solid team effort by players in the box.

Graduate student Gabe Stauber sent the ball in, where sophomore Matthew Lewis got the first shot off. It went wide, and sophomore Eric Ohlendorf raced to pick up the loose ball. He then crossed it back into the center, where senior Kyle Bitterman headed it home for his first goal of the season.

“It’s nice to know that the hard work that I have been putting in is paying off by scoring that goal,” Bitterman said.
Minutes later, Fairfield cut the lead to one. Sophomore Jonathan Uy slid a pass through to fellow sophomore Ben Wignall, who netted it behind Nuhu to make it 2-1.

The Rams regained their two-goal lead in the 84th minute. Again, it was Janos Loebe on the assist, as he raced down the field with red-shirt senior Andres Penfold on a two on one advantage. The freshman forward crossed it from the left side, and Penfold finished it for the 3-1 lead.

The Stags fought until the end, as they netted a second goal with only 35 seconds left in the game. Rebounding from his missed penalty kick, Marshall took advantage of a misplay in Fordham’s eighteen-yard box and headed his fourth goal of the season past Nuhu.

Despite the late goal, the Rams would hold on for the 3-2 win. Noah racked up seven saves, while Fairfield’s Matt Turner had six.
The win was Fordham’s first of the season, bringing the team’s record to 1-3-2 on the season, while Fairfield fell to 1-2-3.

“Since we’ve gotten our first win, now we have released some pressure off our shoulders,” Nuhu said. “We worked for one another and we played with confidence.”

Bitterman agreed with his keeper, but says the Rams still have work to do. “We are still not where we want to be,” Bitterman said. “We just have to keep trying to improve everyday in practice and in games.”

The match against Fairfield demonstrated the tremendous promise that the squad has this year. Finally connecting on offense with three goals, the Rams look to bring this momentum into their upcoming matches.

“The Rams will next see action on Wednesday, Sept. 23 when they host the Columbia University Lions on Jack Coffey Field at 7 p.m.