Sodexo Avoids $3 Million Penalty by Terminating Current Agreement

By Theresa Schliep and Laura Sanicola

Sodexo - Kellyn Simpkins

Fordham Dining was named number 12 on this year’s Princeton Review list of worst campus review. Kellyn Simpkins

With Fordham’s current agreement with its food provider, Sodexo, ending in June 2016, Sodexo will likely avoid a $3 million penalty for landing on the Princeton Review’s worst food list again this year, a dining services contract liason announced Wednesday.

“The Princeton Review [is] the thorn in my side,” said Deming Yaun, Fordham’s dining services contract liaison. “Sodexo had promised the goal was to be off the Princeton Review list by August 2016…I doubt there will be any penalty.”

Fordham is currently ranked No. 13 on Princeton Review’s 2016 ranking entitled “Is it Food?,” which evaluates colleges with the least edible food. Fordham topped the list in 2012, causing the university to reevaluate the university’s relationship with Sodexo.  Ultimately, Fordham continued Sodexo’s contract in June 2013, but with certain parameters to facilitate change.

Yaun spoke mainly on the university’s Request For Proposals (RFP) for a new dining service at Fordham’s monthly Student Life Council meeting on January 27. The RFP is set to be completed at the end of March.

This action counters the university’s 2013 decision to extend Sodexo’s contract at Fordham for another 10 years. Fordham has instead made arrangements with the catering service to end their current agreement on June 30, 2016.

Fordham reports that its “internal survey processes” show that 80 percent of Fordham students have stated they are “satisfied or highly satisfied” with Sodexo’s services.

“…There are penalties for not meeting certain satisfaction criteria…in the three years we have been doing that, [Sodexo] has met those goals every time”  Yaun said.

Five original bidders have been narrowed down to four involved in the current process, including Sodexo and three companies that the university will not disclose at this time, Yaun announced.

“We are not identifying the companies interested and participating in the process, but we are pleased Sodexo is participating,” Yaun said in an email to The Fordham Ram. “With the issuing of an RFP, we are starting with a clean slate: every firm that submits a proposal has chance of being selected, based on the contents of their proposal.”

Senior Vice President for Student Affairs Jeffrey Gray  introduced the RFP to the Fordham community in a university-wide email in early December. Yaun reported that the RFP was under works throughout the summer of 2015.

“Preparing the RFP took months and months and lots of consideration and talking to professionals throughout the industry to advise us,” he said in reference to the process.  “In discussions with [Sodexo] last May through this summer, it just became apparent that hey, maybe we need some more.”

Students will be involved in the bidding process, according to Yaun. The dining proposals from the companies involved are due Feb. 16, and will be on display for students to review. Students will also be able to visit facilities the companies are already operating in early March.

Executives from the companies will also host formal presentations open to students on March 7-9. Furthermore, a student committee to work with Dining Services to choose a new dining provider will soon be open to students.

Yaun established that they will keep the Fordham community informed throughout the RFP process.

There are 5 comments

1. Sam

More like 80% of those people were confused on which side of the scale was satisfied and strongly dissatisfied. Fordham is notorious for misrepresenting the views of their students, which includes disregarding the constant complaints posed against Sodexo. Getting rid of Sodexo will be one of the greatest things to happen to Fordham in the years I’ve attended this school, unless they replace them with a company of equal or worse stature. Perhaps Fordham might consider allocating more expenses towards our nutrition, rather than their grotesquely large and unnecessary administrations salary.

2. Elisa

I know right? How did they even pull that 80% number off? Is it because they conduct surveys at the beginning of the school year when the freshmen dont realize how bad the food is yet? Or they just hand pick a group of students? Seems that theres a way that somehow they gamed the system,.

3. stardestroyer

I absolutely refuse to believe that 80% of students are “satisfied or highly satisfied” with Sodexo’s services. The food is atrocious still and no changes have been made, it is more than disappointing. If Sodexo is our provider again I will not be getting a meal plan next year because it is ridiculously over priced and the food we are getting is absolute s**t and will not continue to destroy my body.

4. Elisa

I agree. They have been cutting corners in every way possible, like using lower quality roast beef at the deli station and replacing smoked salmon with salmon cream cheese. What do they mean by internal surveys? If 80% of students are really that satisfied according to their own research, why are we still on the Princeton worst food list to begin with?

5. truehoopshk

I can guarantee it that Sodexo paid its way up to rank 13 in Princeton Review. No way they legitimately earned it. They didn’t improve their food standards in any way over the last 3 years I was here. If anything, they decreased the value of the meal plans, don’t offer any good vegetarian options and don’t even stock the fruits section properly in the caf.