Who’s That Kid? It’s Paola Joaquin Rosso, FCRH ’17

Paola Joaquin Rosso breaks down all barriers she faces as a commuter, truly making FCRH her home away from home.

Paola Joaquin Rosso breaks down all barriers she faces as a commuter, truly making FCRH her home away from home. Courtesy of Paola Joaquin Rosso

By Margarita Artoglou

New Student Orientation Leader and Coordinator Paola Joaquin Rosso, FCRH ‘17, was one of the first friendly faces many freshmen encountered at Fordham. As an orientation leader, she helped students adjust to college life and encouraged them to get involved at Fordham.

Paola is an expert on being involved on campus: she is the executive vice president for the Commuting Students Association, a Senior Week Volunteer, a member of the Global Outreach program and a member of the Student Culinary Council. She also participates in intramural sports, is involved with cultural clubs and serves on the newly formed Diversity Task Force.

Paola, an English major, is on the Pre-Law track, but hopes to become involved with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps after graduation before heading to law school.

One might wonder how Paola juggles such a full academic schedule and extracurricular responsibilities, plus the extra pressure of having to leave campus and commute back home every night. But she says that being a commuting student actually helps her involvement on campus.

“I was a very involved student in high school so that motivated me to become very involved here,” she said. “Being a commuter added the extra spark that pushed me to actually make sure that I got to know my peers. I did have to be aware about the time that I got home and the responsibilities that I still have as a commuting student.”

She said that she hopes that other commuters do not get discouraged about joining organizations on campus. “It makes a big difference in your college experience, even if it is just one club, she said. “Getting involved has not only opened many doors for me, but it has also allowed me to get to meet students that I would not necessarily get to meet outside of class.”

Being on the executive board of the Commuting Students Association has helped Paola ensure that commuters have a voice on campus, which is one of her passions as commuters sometimes have a more difficult time finding a sense of belonging at Fordham than residents. Helping students feel like they belong is one of Paola’s personal goals. Her position on the Diversity Task Force is aimed at helping Fordham students of different backgrounds feel welcome in their environment.

“I always think that that’s when people will enjoy their college career, when they feel like they belong,” said Paola. “Some people sometimes run into a small disconnect, and I would hope that somehow they manage to find a sense of belonging here.”

Paola has devoted much of her time at Fordham to helping others, both on campus and in other countries. She has been on two Global Outreach trips to Alaska and Nicaragua, and says that the ability to learn about the history of an Alaskan tribe and work with NGOs in Nicaragua opened her eyes to a whole new world.

“I recommend everyone to at least apply to one project during their time at Fordham,” she said. “Trust me, I have loved each project that I have been on, and I know that they have definitely opened my mind and eyes to things I might have never realized.” One thing is for sure: Paola is getting everything she can out of her time here at Fordham, both on and off campus.