Breiner Era Stumbles Out of the Gate Against Navy

By Jack McLoone

(Zack Miklos/ The Fordham Ram)

(Zack Miklos/ The Fordham Ram)

If you’re the superstitious sort, then the opening to Fordham Football’s 2016 season was a bad omen, especially in first-year head coach Andrew Breiner’s first game. In the Rams’ season opener in Annapolis against the Navy Midshipmen, senior defensive back and kick returner Jihad Pretlow was hit hard and fumbled the ball on the first kickoff of the season, turning it over on Fordham’s 7-yard line. Just one play later, Navy quarterback Tago Smith utilized the potent triple option to waltz into the end zone, putting Navy up 7-0 after just 12 seconds.

Fordham’s second possession went a little better, but the drive eventually stalled inside of the Navy 30. This was the start of the Rams’ daylong struggle to move the ball down the field. Fordham ended up turning it over on downs, but it could have been a lot worse. Senior quarterback Kevin Anderson was bailed out after a Navy defender dropped a near-guaranteed pick six. Anderson’s mistakes were another recurring theme of the game.

In addition to the offensive struggles, Fordham’s defense consistently failed to get off the field. The clearest example of this came during Navy’s ensuing possession. After a misplayed snap and a sack, the Midshipmen were looking at third-and-18. However, another flawless execution of the triple option netted them that 18 and then some, with Smith ripping off a 62-yard rush, weaving around Ram defenders and shedding a couple of arm tackles. They made it 14-0 just a few plays later.

While the Rams finally got on the board with their next possession, they could manage only a 30-yard field goal from senior McKay Redd. In other words, the Rams offense had stalled again, failing to take advantage of the 44-yard completion from Anderson to sophomore wideout Jonathan Lumley that got them into Navy territory right off the bat.

Navy scored in three plays on their next possession, including a 45-yard completion on their first pass attempt of the drive. The score was 21-3 Navy with just under five minutes left in the first quarter.

Soon after, the Rams’ offense finally appeared to be figuring things out, with Anderson finding senior tight end Phazahn Odom in the end zone to make it 21-10 with two minutes left in the first quarter. That was the Rams’ only touchdown.

Even after Navy lost Smith to injury, Fordham looked lost against the triple option. This was in spite of all the time Breiner had the team practice against the scarcely used but highly potent offensive scheme. Smith, followed by backups Will Worth and Malcolm Perry (who had not dressed for the game and was pulled from the stands at halftime), consistently made the correct reads and left a Fordham defense without upperclassmen starters Niko Thorpe and Manny Adeyeye in the lurch.

The rest of the game continued much like the first quarter: the Rams made forays into Navy territory only to come up short, while Navy continued to come right back and score almost immediately. The Rams took their lumps for the rest of the game, losing 52-16 and looking out of sorts the entire way.

The Rams will be back in action next Saturday at 1 p.m. for their home opener against Elizabeth City State University.

Notes:

• Anderson looked rusty, going 26-45 with 302 yards and one touchdown, along with at least four near-interceptions and numerous overthrows.
  • Junior running back Chase Edmonds was held in check, gathering just 80 yards on 18 attempts.
  • Odom had only three catches, but all three were impressive.
  • Sophomore receiver Austin Longi led the Rams with seven catches and 64 yards.
  • Five of Navy’s touchdowns were scored in possessions that took under 90 seconds.
  • Navy averaged 9.6 yards per play. Fordham averaged 5.7 yards
  • Navy QBs attempted only four passes but completed all of them, including a 57-yard touchdown.