Who’s That Kid? It’s Lindsey Faust, FCRH ’18

Lindsey has found an enriching community at Fordham campus ministry. (Courtesy of Lindsey Faust)

By Anna Carey 

Lindsey Faust’s time at Fordham has been shaped by her faith. She came into Fordham knowing she wanted to study communications in order to explore how cultural trends in the media shape our lives. Lindsey soon added a theology major, as her involvement with Fordham’s campus ministry made her want to look at her faith from an academic perspective. Though she seemingly has a full academic schedule with her double major, Lindsey is also pursuing a Spanish minor because of a love of the language she heard her mother speaking from the time she was a child.

In addition to academics, Lindsey is an active member of Fordham campus ministry as a retreat leader and an organizer of the weekly Praise and Worship events. Retreats are weekend-long getaways for students of all denominations at the organization’s retreat house, while Praise and Worship events are held every Wednesday at 9 p.m. in Our Lady’s Chapel.

During her freshman year, Lindsey had one of her most fruitful Fordham experiences while attending the Fresh-Vision retreat. “I figured going on a retreat would be a good first step in getting involved and meeting people and, two years later, many of the people I went on that retreat with are still some of my very closest friends,” Lindsey told The Fordham Ram in an interview. She that she did not anticipate the impact the community would have on her. She found a home in Fordham retreats and encourages other students to attend as well.

Speaking of Fresh-Vision retreats, registration this fall’s programs is now open online, and Lindsey would love to see anyone there who is looking for a similarly rewarding experience. “It really set me on a path for growth, learning and understanding more about myself and my faith,” she said.
This summer, Lindsey had a once-in-a-lifetime experience. She traveled to Krakόw, Poland to participate in World Youth Day with members of Fordham’s campus ministry. The group traveled to Polish cities Łόdź, Warsaw, Czestochowa and Krakόw over the 18-day trip and spent their time visiting monasteries and churches, taking long pilgrimages, sleeping on the floors of elementary schools and hearing addresses by Pope Francis. The international gathering of the youth of the Catholic church left Lindsey exhausted but grateful for the three weeks full of adventure and excitement.

Lindsey also spent the summer working on social scince research. She studied the charitable giving habits and motivations of Christian faith-based groups and compared them to those of individuals who subscribe to the secular philanthropic philosophy Effective Altruism through a summer research grant. In her research, Lindsey found it interesting to learn how the two groups share some ideas about giving and to speculate on how the groups might learn from each other’s giving habits.

In discerning her post graduation options, Lindsey is considering the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, as many of her close friends who have graduated were or are in JVC placements across the country. She looks forward to working with communities and building a network and family she would be honored to be a part of forever. If she does not join JVC, Lindsey would ideally like to attend grad school. “I still have two years to figure that all out so I’m not rushing anything,” she insisted.

Before she graduates, Lindsey wants “to go to every art museum in the city,” picking up where she left off after visiting a number of the museums on her list this summer.

To those who are just beginning their time here at Fordham, Lindsey would tell them that there is no reason to be anyone but yourself because letting yourself grow and evolve is the best thing you can do in college.

“You are growing into yourself and discovering the world through your own eyes for the first time.” she said.