Bastille Escapes the Sophomore Slump With New LP Wild World

By Meredith Nardino

Bastille’s second LP avoided the sophomore slump with its innovative sounds. (Courtesy of Flickr)

After three long years, Bastille has returned with a sophomore album filled with songs made for stadium-sized sing-alongs. From the opening track, the band’s growth is instantly evident. No two songs on this album sound exactly alike – or even like the previous album – yet they still invariably belong to Bastille.

Wild World is a huge whirlwind of an album, yet not one song of the extended nineteen is below average. “Good Grief,” “Fake It” and “Send Them Off!” set the tone as the album’s first three singles, each more impressive than the last. The album is a full hour of contrasting highs and lows; the lyrics often paint pictures of the lack of power and control we hold in our lives, while the melodies are brutally upbeat. “Two Evils” and “Four Walls (The Ballad of Perry Smith)” prove to be the most introspective tracks, slowing down the LP without hindering its progression. Other standouts include “Glory,” “Snakes” and “Lethargy,” three tunes that singer Dan Smith promises are sure to be hits on the road this fall.

If you listen closely, you can pick out the cultural references that pop up as the album continues. Some are subtle (the “wrap your teeth around the pavement” line in “Blame” is an ode to American History X) and others more blatant, like the Weird Science quote that opens the album. Each of these allusions manage to further convey the dystopian mood of the album as a whole. This integration of film, television, literature and music is something that sets Bastille apart from the majority of alternative-pop crossover groups. The care bastille put into creating a cohesive, meaningful album surpasses that of even the most popular artists today.

What is most impressive about Wild World is its ability to distinguish itself as a sophomore album. After the band’s surprising rise to fame in 2013, Bastille could have very well become complacent in the success of its Bad Blood era. However, the band continued to push themselves artistically, drawing inspiration from its travels and personal experiences more than before. Bad Blood was a depiction of a distant past, detailing mythological tales and historical downfalls.

On its second LP, Bastille look toward the future – one that is messy, dark and hopeful all at once. Wild World is a departure from the Bastille known by mainstream radio, but proves the band is here to stay.