Six Songs to Listen to While Traveling Home and Abroad

By Meredith Nardino

Studying abroad offers an opportunity to explore both physically and musically. (Courtesy of Flickr)

This semester, I am lucky enough to be studying abroad in London. One of the many perks of being in such a major European metropolis is the ability to travel outside of the city itself and explore more of the beautiful United Kingdom. A chilly weekend in Edinburgh inspired the perfect soundtrack for wandering the countryside, trekking up mountains or driving down the coast.

1. “Way Down We Go” – Kaleo
This track from Icelandic group Kaleo is the second on an album filled with rustic, edgy tunes. The song delivers both power and restraint, a distinct characterization of the new alt-folk trend. Despite their rookie status, the members of Kaleo have already made a name for themselves commercially; their music has been featured in several ads and television programs. “Way Down We Go” quickly rose to number one on the Billboard charts after its release, and it’s no surprise why – the song manages to sound like Hozier, the Black Keys and the Lumineers all at once.

2. “Hungry” – Dotan
Dotan Harpenau is a little-known Dutch artist who brings together the best of mainstream singer-songwriter and folk music. Dotan’s voice is gentle and commanding, perfectly encapsulating the hunger he sings of so desperately. It is often difficult for artists of this quiet nature to stand out, but Dotan’s subtle fury is memorable in its contradictory fashion. “Hungry” is an intricate layering of highs and lows, and is easily one of the catchiest songs in Dotan’s repertoire.

3. “SOS (Overboard)” – Joseph
After touring with James Bay, sisters Natalie, Allison and Meegan Closner of Joseph released an impressive debut that quickly rose to the top of the indie charts. The popularity of an all-female band like Joseph in such a predominantly male artistic culture is extremely refreshing. The group’s Oregon roots are particularly evident, not only in the band’s name, but also in the breezy nature of the song itself. “SOS” is a beautiful single that proves the extensive range and near-perfect harmony of the three sisters.

4. “Kicking Roses” – Benjamin Francis Leftwich
Growing indie label Dirty Hit expands its unique variety of artists by signing Benjamin Francis Leftwich alongside huge bands like The 1975 and Wolf Alice. Leftwich’s 2011 debut album, Last Smoke Before the Snowstorm, flew under the radar until Kygo’s remix of the single “Shine” went viral. The ambient remix seems to have inspired Leftwich throughout his newest album, especially in “Kicking Roses.” The song builds slowly, allowing Leftwich to demonstrate that his artistry is comparable to the most recent work of acts like Bon Iver and Of Monsters and Men.

5. “She Burns” – Foy Vance
41 year-old Foy Vance (not to be confused with Vance Joy) is an unlikely star, but signing on with Ed Sheeran’s record label has certainly benefited his popularity. The Irishman’s sound is surprisingly unique within its obvious acoustic qualities, as his voice is more gravely and noticeably aged. Foy Vance combines the essential components of folk and blues, as traces of Van Morrison and Otis Redding bleed into the rhythms of Vances’s most recent album.

6. “I Have Been to the Mountain” – Kevin Morby
The genius of so many American singer-songwriters is their ability to incorporate hints of geographical influence into their work. Somehow, Kevin Morby is able to meld Brooklyn, Los Angeles and his native Kansas City into one cohesive and original sound. It’s easy to see why Morby cites classic folk musicians as some of his major inspirations. On this track, he emulates a young Bob Dylan who just discovered how to use a distortion pedal.