The Weeknd Goes Mainstream, But Can’t Shake the Darkness

By Nicole Horton

The Weeknd achieved a Billboard record even before releasing his seventh album.

The Weeknd’s latest album Beauty Behind The Madness is an eclectic mix of brooding sensuality and retro funk. Following “Earned It,” which was penned for Fifty Shades of Grey, Abel Tesfaye showed that he was ready to transition from his shadowy R&B niche to a complete pop presence. The Weeknd is the first solo male artist, as a lead on both tracks, with two simultaneous top five Billboard Hot 100 entries (“The Hills” and “Can’t Feel My Face”) since B.o.B. in 2010.

“Often,” “The Hills” and “Dark Times” are reminiscent of his past albums Trilogy and Kiss Land. These three tracks deal with the dizzying allure and pitfalls of fame, sex and drugs. In “The Hills,” Tesfaye sings in the chorus: “The only time that I’ll be by your side/ I only love it when you touch me, not feel me.” “Often” is known for its overt sexuality, but offers veiled drug and religious references like the following: “My god white, he in my pocket/ He get me redder than the devil ‘til I go nauseous.”

“As You Are” switches it up to show The Weeknd’s romantic vulnerability. He sings about wanting a woman to take him as he is, but acknowledging that he believes their relationship is doomed because “our love is too young.” Kanye West lends his confidence to “Tell Your Friends,” as The Weeknd sings about “living life so trill.”

The Weeknd shines in the Thriller-esque “Can’t Feel My Face” and “In the Night.” Retro pop is a style that has worked well for Bruno Mars, but the Canada native keeps his signature sensuous melodies in a way that should not alienate his fan base. Those who are disappointed with this album are afraid for Tesfaye to evolve as an artist.