Cronin Scores Two Game-Winners in One Week

By Pat Costello

Women's Soccer is now 7-3-3 on the season. (The Ram Archives)

Women’s Soccer is now 7-3-3 on the season. (The Ram Archives)

After tying its first two in-conference games, the women’s soccer team entered last week looking to get a few numbers in the win column and climb higher in the standings. The Rams’ opponents for the week were VCU on Thursday and St. Bonaventure on the weekend.

On Thursday, VCU came to town looking to pick up its second win in the Atlantic 10, while Fordham was looking for its first. The contest was highly competitive and defense heavy. Both sides proved to be impenetrable in the first half, leaving the score tied after the first 45 minutes.

Fordham’s offensive pace picked up in the second half, though the team failed to get on the board. Freshman forward Amanda Miller and sophomore midfielder Clara Gastaldi both had opportunities to score, but were unable to capitalize on them. It wasn’t until the 86th minute that Fordham managed to break through. Senior forward Nicol Natale, who was subbed in about halfway through the second half, made a deep run towards the right corner. From there, she crossed the ball towards the middle of the field to sophomore forward Lane Cronin, who had been denied by VCU’s goalie multiple times.

Cronin collected the pass, composed herself and lobbed a beautiful shot over the defense and into the top left corner of the net. The Fordham defense was able to hold out for the rest of the game, giving them an incredible 1-0 victory.

On Sunday, the Rams marched into St. Bonaventure’s Marra Complex with the goal of winning back-to-back A-10 games. As has been a common theme for Fordham this season, both defenses were resolute to start the game. For the third time in four games, the Rams needed overtime, but there would be no tie on this occasion.

Cronin, the hero from the VCU game, delivered the winning blow in the 103rd minute, corralling a long pass from the goalkeeper and battling against St. Bonaventure’s Sydney Cassagnol. Cronin maintained possession of the ball, working her defender until she managed to get free. Cronin took advantage of a slip from Cassagnol, spinning away from her opponent and flicking a left-footed shot towards the net. The ball sailed over everyone’s head and into the back left corner for the game-winning goal. It was Cronin’s third goal of the season and second game-winner of the week. Her teammates mobbed her as soon as the ball went in, celebrating their 1-0 victory.

The Rams’ conference record is now 2-0-2, while their record for the season is 7-3-3. Cronin’s incredible performances earned her A-10 Offensive Player of the Week honors.

The women will return to the pitch on Oct. 13 for an away game with Saint Louis. The first touch set for 8 p.m.