News and Notes Feb. 8-14, 2017

By Alvin Halimwidjaya

Fordham Sports News and Notes from Feb. 8-14, 2017. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

• Lauren Quense Named A-10 Pitcher of the Week

Senior Lauren Quense was awarded with the Atlantic 10’s first Pitcher of the Week honor this season. She was an integral part of Fordham Softball’s 4-1 start to season this weekend, which is a program record. At the Hillenbrand Invitational, Quense pitched in wins over Baylor, Tulsa and Northwestern, allowing only six runs over 20 innings. Quense was named Second Team All-Conference in 2016, and this is her third Pitcher of the Week honor.

• Women’s Coach Stephanie Gaitley Sets Record With 116th Win

With a 74-43 blowout win over Massachusetts on Saturday, Feb. 11, Fordham women’s basketball head coach Stephanie Gaitley earned her 116th win with Fordham, a program record. The Rams are the fifth team Gaitley has coached throughout 31 years. Coaching with her husband and sons in attendance, the Rams drained 16 three-pointers and won its third in a row at their annual Play4Kay event.

• Fordham Holds Annual Breakfast for Champions

Fordham University honored 363 student-athletes for earning a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher at the 14th Annual Breakfast for Champions in the McGinley Center. Sponsored by the Fordham Athletic Department, speakers at the event Father Jose-Luis Salazar, S.J., executive director of the University Mission and Ministry Office, Director of Athletics David Roach, Deputy Athletic Director Charlie Elwood and Joan Cronan, Athletic Director Emeritus of the University of Tennessee.

• Water Polo and Cross-Country Athletes Receive Academic Honors

Fordham men’s and women’s track teams were named as an All-Academic Cross Country team, honored for maintaining a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher. The men had a 3.28 GPA, while the women had a 3.35 GPA. In addition, seven water polo players earned All-Academic Awards from the Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches for the 2016 season by maintaining a GPA of 3.2 or higher.