Trump’s Backtracking Eases Nation’s Worries

By Briana Scalia

Donald Trump is commonly known for changing his political stances, sometimes within the span of a single day.(Courtesy of Flickr)

President-elect Trump has grown quite famous for making claimsthat he quickly back tracks on. While it can be difficult to keep track of each promise that the President-elect has made over the course of his campaign, it is obvious to most that Trump is not an obstinate man. In fact, he seems much more open to compromising his views than some gave him credit for. Those that support Trump see these changes of opinion as leniency, while those against him view their opinions as coming from a man unsure in his position.

One rallying cry during President-elect Trump’s campaign was “Lock Her Up,” in reference to the opposing candidate Hillary Clinton and her various legal scandals. Many of his supporters agreed with Trump on his stance regarding Clinton, and applauded his promises to appoint a special prosecutor to look into her FBI case if appointed. However, it is evident that the President-elect has no plans to start an investigation into Clinton. Kellyanne Conway, Trump’s campaign manager, made an appearance on MSNBC’s show “Morning Joe” to explicitly state that, “[President-Elect Trump] does not wish to pursue these charges because it sends a very strong message-tone and content-to the members.”

This formed a divide between American citizens over this statement. Some Trump supporters are angry that Trump is going back on one of his claims during his campaign, while other supporters commend the President-elect for granting Hillary Clinton a modicum of peace after her defeat in the election. Finally, those who oppose Trump are quick to confirm to others ignorant of our nation’s complex set of laws that a president does not have the power to direct or order such an investigation.

This example is just one of several claims President-elect Trump has mulled over the past few months, though this particular promise was prominent during his campaign. Though it is not uncommon for those with political power to make promises they either cannot or will not fulfill, a many view the future president as uncertain in his role, but with an optimistic outlook one can hope this uncertainty comes from Trump trying to make the best decisions possible. It certainly means that the President-elect is not afraid of public opinion, nor the opinion of foreign leaders. Also, it is common knowledge that President-elect Trump does not have much, if any, political background, being one of his most appealing factors to American voters.

Though Trump is doing quite a deal of backtracking, it is definitely preferable to him sticking by half-baked plans. It is certainly favorable to have a president who is willing to change his plans over a President that is obstinate in his perspective. Also, while many political experts see Trump’s lack of commitment as vice, no one that has been keeping up with this campaign can say they are shocked that Trump is changing his stance on so many issues, especially when compared the severe trash talk delivered to his opponents during the race versus his opinion of those same politicians now that he has been elected.

Trump will not be a regular president. He will not be conforming to rules set before him, whether or not he particularly disagrees with them. It is not in his nature to obey a set of laws that he did not approve first hand.

Although this is a very different philosophy than that of most traditional American presidents. this behavior is not novel for Donald Trump. While every expert can predict whether the President-elect is pursuing the right or wrong paths, the American public will not come to consensus until they see the consequences of President-elect Trump’s actions. Despite individual opinions of Trump, the country can all agree that this presidency will certainly be a departure from the norms set before it.

Briana Scalia, FCRH ’20, is a journalism major from Long Island, New York.