Rams Go 2-1 Over President’s Day Weekend

By Alexandra Sedlak

The Rams topped Sacred Heart and Wagner (Courtesy of Ally White / The Fordham Ram)

President’s Day weekend was long for the Fordham men’s tennis team, as they had three matches to play. Their first match was away  against Sacred Heart University on Friday, February 17. Their next two matches were at their home courts on Sunday, February 19.  The first was against Marist College and the second against Wagner College. It was a successful weekend for the Rams.  They won their first match with a final score of 6-1, they lost their second match, and they won their third match 3-2. They started their match against Sacred Heart with two wins and one loss in doubles.  Sophomore Victor Li and senior Nick Borak won their set 6-3 in second doubles, while freshman Fabian Mauritzson and junior Joseph Kavaloski won the third doubles spot with a score of 7-5. Senior Tomas Cosmai and freshman Allen Thornes fought hard but lost their set in first doubles with a score of 6-4.  In the singles matches, Fordham won five out of the six, giving them a total of 6 points versus 1.  Senior Tomas Cosmai won first singles with a score of 6-3, 6-3, while sophomore Victor Li won 6-3, 6-2 in the second singles position.  In a close match for third singles, freshman Fabian Mauritzson fell 3-6, (5)6-7 Senior Nick Borak won his long match in fourth singles with a score of 6-0, 4-6, 7-5. Freshman Allen Thornes succeeded in fifth singles with a score of 6-4, 6-4. Finally, in the sixth singles position, junior Joseph Kavaloski also won a close match, scoring 7-5, 7-5.

The team’s doubleheader day came next. Due to the two matches being played on the same day, the usual format was changed.  Instead of three doubles and six singles matches played separately, there were four singles matches and one doubles match played simultaneously.  For their first match of the day, Fordham fell to Marist with a score of 1-4.  Senior Nick Borak and freshman Jeremy Chung lost the doubles point with a score of 3-6, 1-6.  Senior Tomas Cosmai, sophomore Victor Li, and freshman Allen Thornes lost their singles matches with set scores of 1-6, 5-7; 4-6, 5-7; and 5-7, 3-6, respectively.  Freshman Fabian Mauritzson made the sole win for Fordham against Marist, winning 6-1, 6-3 in his third singles position.

Fordham’s second match of the day against Wagner was more promising, as they defeated their opponents with a tight final score of 3-2.  For doubles play, Thornes and Chung lost to Wagner with a score of 4-6, 4-6.  Cosmai won his first singles position with a score of 6-4, 6-2. In second singles, Li faced a tough opponent, as the score was really close and the match went to three sets.  Li found the strength to pull through and won for Fordham, closing the match with 6(5)-7, 7-5, 6-2. Mauritzson played the third singles spot, losing to Wagner with a score of 4-6, 1-6.  Finally, in the fourth singles position, Borak had a long, tight match, but he fought hard and come out as the victor in the end with a score of 6(2)-7, 6-3, 6-2.

The men’s tennis team is out on their home courts again next weekend. On Saturday they will be hosting Saint Louis University, and on Sunday they will be hosting Hofstra University.