Men’s Tennis Wraps Up Regular Season

Allen Thornes notched a win in both singles and doubles (Courtesy of Julia Comerford/The Fordham Ram).

By Alexandria Sedlak

The men’s tennis team has had three tournaments since Easter break. The first one was on the Saturday of Easter break.  It played Siena College, winning 6-1 at its last home game of the season, while also celebrating Senior Day.  Fordham’s next two tournaments were this past weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday.  The team travelled to Washington D.C. to play George Washington University on Saturday, dropping the tournament 1-6. It then journeyed to Fairfax, Virginia to compete against George Mason University on Sunday.

The Fordham Rams had a very successful Easter weekend, winning 6-1 against Siena. In doubles play, Fordham won two out of the three matches, giving them the doubles point.  Sophomore Victor Li and freshman Fabian Mauritzson won first doubles with a score of 6-3, while senior Tomas Cosmai and freshman Allen Thornes won second doubles with a score of 6-0.  In the third doubles position, junior Joseph Kavaloski and senior Nick Borak dropped the set 3-6.

Fordham won five of the six singles matches. Li succeeded in first singles with a score of 6-1, 6-2, while Cosmai took the second singles spot in a close tiebreaker, 4-6, 6-4, 10-6. In third singles, Mauritzson swept the sets 6-1, 6-1. Borak split sets in fourth singles, ultimately dropping the tough match 3-6, 6-1, 6-10. Thornes then won the fifth singles position with a score of 6-1, 6-2, while Kavaloski took sixth singles with a score of 6-1, 6-3. After winning against Sienna 6-1, the Rams had a Senior Day celebration honoring Tomas Cosmai and Nick Borak.

Down in D.C., the Rams experienced some inclement weather which moved the tournament to Trump National Golf Club indoor courts.  Fordham lost their tournament against George Washington with a final score of 1-6. George Washington won all three of the doubles matches, giving them the doubles point.  They then won five out of the six singles matches, with Fordham scoring one point in the singles games. This was thanks to Thornes, who won his fifth singles match with a score of 8-6.

The Rams’ regular season ended the next day when they faced George Mason University. The overall score was 0-4 when the tournament was halted. Now the men’s tennis team is eagerly anticipating the Atlantic 10 Championships, which take place from April 26 to April 30  at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Florida.