Class of 2023 Statistics Remain Consistent With Years Past

Julia Comerford/The Fordham Ram

Helen Stevenson, News Editor

A record-breaking 47,800 students applied to be a part of Fordham University’s Class of 2023, but the university was looking for a smaller class this year, according to Patricia Peek, Ph.D., dean of undergraduate admissions.

A snapshot of the freshman class proves to be generally the same as that of the freshman class last year.

As of Monday, Sept. 9, the class consists of 2,236 students, comparable to last year’s freshman class of 2,265. Peek said the university reached its goal of a smaller class and maintained an acceptance rate of about 44%.

Ten percent of the 22,000+ accepted students committed to attending.

“In a highly competitive higher ed landscape, Fordham competes for some of the most talented students against some of the finest colleges in the country,” Peek said. “This year again, the applicant pool was comprised of students who had many options.”

According to Peek, the average high school GPA was 3.64 and the average testing (SAT) score was a 1355.

“GPA is even [compared to last year’s class] and testing is ahead by six points on the ACT/SAT high score scale,” she said.

Thirty-seven percent of the class are domestic students of color, even with last year’s statistics. However, only 8% are international students – down 40 students against last year. Peek said the office is pleased with the class statistics given the higher education landscape.

“We are pleased to have realized a class that continues to be both diverse and academically quite strong,” said Peek. “Many outside forces influenced college admission process for nearly all schools this year.”

In particular, she said, many schools are seeing declines in their international student population.

“Making sure our community is diverse remains one of our top priorities, and we are going to be adding an associate director of diversity initiatives to our team this fall,” she said.

The gender breakdown of the class of 2023 is 58% female and 42% male, compared to last year’s 56% female and 44% male. Residents make up 78% of the class, while 22% commute, which is similar to last year’s incoming class.