Former Football Star Anthony Coyle Drafted in XFL

Former Fordham Football great Anthony Coyle is getting his chance in the XFL. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

Jimmy Sullivan, Sports Editor

Former Fordham offensive lineman Anthony Coyle, who played for the Rams from 2014–17, has found a new home in the game.

Coyle was drafted in the 14th round of Tuesday night’s XFL Draft by the New York Guardians. Coyle had signed with the Houston Texans coming out of Fordham in 2018, but after being cut by them later that year, he signed with the Green Bay Packers earlier this year. However, he fell victim to the league’s September cut-down, and as the Packers trimmed their roster to 53 players before the regular season, Coyle was an unfortunate casualty.

But with Coyle unable to break through in the NFL, he saw the XFL as another opportunity to play professionally. The XFL originally existed in 2001, and, despite record-shattering early ratings, fell by the wayside due to its own mistakes. In 2020, the league will be getting a reboot, and like it was nearly two decades ago, the XFL will be headed by Vince McMahon, who is most famously the CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE).

Coyle comes to this opportunity after having an illustrious Fordham career. He was a three-time all-Patriot League selection — twice a first-teamer — and even made the freshman All-America team after the 2014 season. Just as impressively, he started all 48 games the Rams played in the four years he was a member of the football team.

Now, he gets an opportunity with the New York Guardians, who will be coached by former Giants, Bills, Steelers, Jaguars and Oilers offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. He also coached the then-San Diego Chargers for two years from 1997–1998. In addition to getting a chance to show NFL teams what he is capable of, Coyle also will be playing close to home. He grew up in Staten Island, N.Y. and attended Tottenville High School.

The XFL kicks off on Saturday, Feb. 8 with all of its eight teams in action. The league has a legitimate chance to succeed, and Coyle has a legitimate chance to show both the XFL and the NFL that he can compete at the highest level.