News and Notes Feb. 1-7, 2017

By Alvin Halimwidjaya

Fordham Sports News and Notes from Feb. 1-7, 2017. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

• Fordham Football Introduces 2017 Recruits

Fordham Football’s 2017 recruiting class was announced on Feb. 1, with head coach Andrew Breiner introducing 16 student-athletes to be signed to Fordham for the upcoming season. The recruiting class consists of seven players each on offense and defense, as well as two on special teams. Fordham Football placed a focus on its defensive line, signing four players in those positions. The recruits also come from a variety of states like Connecticut, Florida and Ohio. Some notable players include lineman Anthony Diodato, wide receiver Hamze Elzayat and lineman Mike Marinelli.

• Michael Petersen Named A-10 Rookie of the Week

Freshman Michael Petersen received his second consecutive A-10 Men’s Track and Field Rookie of the Week award, his third for the entire season. Competing at the Metropolitan Championship on Feb. 3, Petersen took first place in the 800m run, clocking in at 1:53:25. He was also part of the 4x800m men’s track relay team that scored a first-place finish with a time of 7:45:60.

• Fordham Softball Picked to Win Title in Preseason Poll

Fordham’s softball team was chosen as the favorite to defend its A-10 title, according to a preseason poll consisting of 10 A-10 head coaches. Fordham earned nine first-place votes and 99 total votes, followed by Dayton with 87 votes and Saint Joseph’s. The 2017 A-10 Softball Championship will take place in Fairfax, Va. from May 10-13, and will be hosted by George Mason. The team looks to maintain their success from the 2016 season, where they racked up 18 conference wins and garnered 13 awards at the end of the season.

• New York Liberty to Host Basketball Clinic at Rose Hill Gym

The New York Liberty, in cooperation with the Fordham women’s basketball team, will hold a youth basketball clinic in the Rose Hill Gymnasium on Saturday, Feb. 11. The clinic is intended for boys and girls aged 5-14, with participants given two Liberty game tickets and one Fordham game ticket.