GSE Reveals New Online Degree Program

Many+people+over+the+age+of+60+have+decided+to+continue+their+education+at+Fordham+with+the+help+of+%22College+at+60.%22+%28Ram+Archives%29.+

GSE Reveals New Online Degree Program

Many people over the age of 60 have decided to continue their education at Fordham with the help of

Many people over the age of 60 have decided to continue their education at Fordham with the help of "College at 60." (Ram Archives).

By Erica Scalise

The University’s Graduate School of Education (GSE) recently unveiled that its new online Master of Science in Teaching (M.S.T.) program will offer specialized degrees in Childhood Education and Childhood Special Education beginning this May.

Anthony Cavanna, associate dean for Academic Affairs, said the university has worked to develop this online curriculum by keeping the best practices of adult learning and online course delivery at the forefront of the program.

“The planning for these programs started over a year ago and has continued,” said Cavanna. “Professors from the Graduate School of Education have worked to determine the best ways to deliver high quality and rigorous content from face to face courses in an online format.”

The M.S.T. program includes weekly live online classes taught by GSE faculty and in-person field experiences in which students can apply classroom learning to their local communities. Upon graduation from the program, students will be eligible to sit for licensure exams in New York as well as other states.

The program also falls in line with the university’s Jesuit mission by aiming to help combat the shortage of teachers in New York City public schools, according to Cavana.

“Teachers trained through both programs will allow us to increase our positive impact on children and communities through focusing on four core principles: dedication to holistic care of each student, devotion to social justice, pursuit of excellence and commitment to serving the community,” said Cavanna.

There is a shortage of special education teachers in 46 states across the U.S., including New York, according to the U.S. Department of Education.

Cavanna said that the program will help alleviate reported teacher shortages in many areas of the country beyond New York City.

“Offering our high quality, nationally recognized and accredited initial teacher preparation program online for students who may not be able to attend our face to face programs, is one way of helping to alleviate the shortage,” said Cavanna.

Beyond the opportunities M.S.T. will provide for NYC public schools, the online programs are designed for students unable to commute and partake in everyday, classroom-based learning. According to Cavanna, the programs are similar to face-to-face programs.

“Student will be able to attend online lectures, view simulations, participate in whole class and small group discussions and be part of in-class assignments by accessing the most up-to-date online instructional delivery methods,” said Cavanna.

He also said students will have the opportunity to speak separately to their professors in whole group, small group and individual sessions, as well as have the chance to get to know other students in the program.

“Students will [also] participate in a capstone event, during which they will travel to the Fordham campus or another destination for a workshop session and the opportunity to meet their cohort members face to face,” said Cavanna.

The program’s current cohort, which is expected to begin during the summer session, is comprised of approximately 15 students and is currently accepting applications for Fall 2018.

According to Cavana, the school is currently receiving a large number of applications and has many quality candidates to expand both the face-to-face and online degree programs.

“We hope this program expands our mission to support underserved communities and provide all children with high quality educators who are able to address the academic, social [and] emotional needs of the students they serve.”