Men’s Tennis Finds Success in First Matches of Season

Fordham Men’s Tennis had a successful weekend at Quinnipiac. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

By Dylan Balsamo

To begin its season, the Fordham men’s tennis team travelled to Hamden, Connecticut for an invitational at Quinnipiac University. The team opened its season with a bang and found success in both the singles and doubles competitions.

The A singles group saw two Rams advance to the Round of 16: junior Fabian Hansch Mauritzson and sophomore Lutwin de Macar, who took down Jack McLister of UConn 6-3, 6-7(2), 10-7. Both advanced to the Round of 16, where Mauritzson bested Ali Mooraj in two sets, 7-5, 6-1, but Macar was defeated by Andrew Finkleman of Wesleyan 6-1, 6-1.

Maurizson wound up falling to Quinnipiac’s own Aleksa Martinovic 6-3, 7-5 in the quarterfinal, ending Fordham’s A side campaign for the weekend in the quarterfinals.

The singles B side saw Fordham’s lone representative in the section also lose to a hometown hero. After beating Evan Powell of UConn 6-2, 6-4, sophomore Alex Makatsaria lost in the Round of 16 to Alester Magalit of Quinnipiac 4-6, 6-2, 10-2.

Then came the doubles tournament, which on the A side saw sophomore Max Green and junior Finn Kemper overcome a home side in Quinnipiac’s Freddie Zaretsky and Hielke Moore 6-3 in the quarterfinals. Green and Kemper eventually lost in the semifinals 6-3 to a UConn opposition of Hank Hill and Yili Zheng. The pair would eventually go on to win the doubles tournament.

The B side of the doubles tournament saw two Fordham campaigns, as Mauitzson paired with junior Jeremy Chung to win in the Round of 16 7-6(3) over Peter Anker and Zach Lieb of Wesleyan before a losing 6-4 effort to Quinnipiac in the next round. The B doubles also included a duo of junior Steven Duka and freshman Jofre Segarra that also won their quarterfinal match, beating Jack Alexander and Brian Schick of Quinnipiac 6-3. Duka and Segarra then lost their semifinal match 6-1 to a strong Wesleyan side, effectively ending the Rams’ doubles efforts for the tournament.

The Fordham men’s tennis squad will take the court next on Oct. 6-7 right on home concrete at the Hawthorn/Rooney Tennis Courts at the Rose Hill campus as they host the Fordham Four-in-the-Fall.