Freshmen USG Senators Present Initiatives

Courtesy of United Student Government

Hasna Ceran, Contributing Writer

On Thursday, Oct. 17, the United Student Government (USG) had a meeting in which the senators of the class of 2023 presented their initiatives for the upcoming semester.

Sen. Maya Bentovim, GSB ’23, proposed additional programming for Gabelli freshmen including Major Fair during spring semester, which would allow Gabelli freshmen to understand the paths open to them.

Sen. Jhan Chavez, GSB ’23, discussed initiatives such as adding a section about events at Lincoln Center to the emails Rose Hill students receive from OrgSync detailing activities on campus. He also proposed changing the times the off-campus shuttle operates. Finally, Chavez suggested reserving a certain number of seats in classes between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. for commuters, to make them more convenient.

Sen. Jonathan Eng, FCRH ’23, described his initiative to provide a way for the Fordham Flea to sell items online. He also suggested a system to rent umbrellas on campus and a resource list for students describing all the discounts available for Fordham students.

Sen. Phillip Krehbiel, FCRH ’23, proposed implementing a dedicated maintenance system for the printers on campus, as well as new lost-and-found procedures.

Finally, Sen. Mary Katherine Smyth, FCRH ’23, focused her initiatives on helping students get more involved in the Bronx.

Sen. Carsyn Fisher, FCRH ’21, presented her written petition for Fordham to recognize Indigenous Peoples Day rather than Columbus Day. The motion was passed unanimously with two abstentions, pending Senate approval next semester.

On Thursday, Oct. 24, the United Student Government (USG) approved three new clubs: the Biomag Club, Classics Club and Fintech Club.

The Biomag Club aims to educate Fordham students about new scientific discoveries by publishing a magazine that will summarize recent scientific articles to make them readable for more students, according to the club’s leaders.

The Classics Club will build a community for classics students and students interested in classics in order to help them learn about internships and interact with faculty according to the club’s leaders.

The Fintech Club provides real-world opportunities and networking for students interested in financial technology, which is tech that seeks to improve the delivery and use of financial services.

The vice president of Student Life, Kevin McSorley, GSB ’20, mentioned several topics in his update to the USG, including potentially expanding the roles of house committee members.

During the cabinet reports, vice president of FCRH, Patrick Fox, FCRH ’20, discussed Dean’s Council initiatives including the FCRH-GSB Joint Town Hall on Nov. 12. Fox also spoke about implementing a Transfer Mentoring program, a possible research symposium, and the Career Services course.