USG Candidates Heat Up for Debate Night

By Erin Shanahan

USG ElectionsWith less than two days until OrgSync polls open, United Student Government (USG) candidates are in the thick of their campaigning efforts. They have spent the last week forming their tickets, promoting their platforms on social media and preparing for Tuesday’s 2017 USG debate.

The debate will be streamed live to The Fordham Ram‘s Facebook page at 7:30 on Tuesday, April 18.

In a slightly accelerated election season, candidates aim to win over a historically apathetic student body in the most contested election in recent years. Last year however, Fordham USG experienced the highest voter turnout since 2012. A total 1348 votes were cast by Fordham students.

This year features a historical executive ticket race.

Brian Reardon, FCRH ’18, is the only current USG member running for an executive position this election cycle.

Reardon,  the current Vice President of FCRH in Fordham’s USG, and Abigail Kedik, FCRH ’18, a new-comer to the USG political scene, have campaigned with concerns regarding student inclusion, social justice and diversity on campus. Specifically, the ticket hopes to address the treatment of our commuter population, the financial aid opportunities for incoming students and the overall lack of diversity throughout the University.

Adam Hamilton, FCRH ’18, and Eric Chacon, FCRH ’18, are entering the USG political scene for the first time. The two have never participated in Fordham’s USG prior to their campaign.

As commuters themselves, Hamilton and Chacon’s  platform focuses heavily on commuter student issues.

Hamilton and Chacon have expressed concerns regarding the distance between commuters and residents, cumbersome sign in and guest policies, and the USG’s low visibility on campus. They plan to solve these problems through a three part plan dealing with Representation, Cohesion and Communication.

Last year, five out of ten positions were contested, as well as almost all senate positions. However this year, only four of the ten board races are uncontested. In addition, only the FCRH ’17 senator position is contested.

A Meet the Candidates is scheduled for Tuesday, April 18 at 7 p.m. and the 2016 USG Debate scheduled for 7:30 p.m., both in McGinley 237. Polls open on Wednesday at 9 a.m. on OrgSync and close Friday at 5 p.m.

USG Candidates.jpg

Timeline

Meet the Candidates: Tuesday, April 18 | 7 p.m. | McGinley 237

USG 2016 Debate: Tuesday, April 18 | 7:30 p.m. | McGinley 237 | WATCH LIVE ON THE FORDHAM RAM’S FACEBOOK PAGE

Polls open: Wednesday, April 19 | 9 a.m. | OrgSync Link

Polls close: Friday, April 21 | 5 p.m. | OrgSync Link