USG Approves Adding FVA Delegate

USG Approves Adding FVA Delegate

(Photo courtesy of USG)

(Photo courtesy of USG)

(Photo courtesy of USG)

(Photo courtesy of USG)

By Sarah Huffman

New Delegate
United Student Government (USG) approved the addition of a Fordham Veterans Association (FVA) delegate at their meeting this past Thursday. Senator Justin Bujalski, FCRH ’18, presented an amendment for the USG constitution that would add an FVA delegate position. The amendment describes the position as a non-voting delegate in which the representative would offer the perspective of student veterans and give updates about FVA.
“I believe that adding an FVA delegate to the USG senate would raise awareness about the student veteran population here at Fordham, and ultimately grow their presence on campus as well.” said Bujalski. He said FVA reached out to him with an interest in getting involved with student government and he reciprocated.
Currently, organizations such as the Residence Hall Association (RHA), Campus Activities Board (CAB) and Commuter Student Association (CSA) all have non-voting delegates that attend the weekly senate meetings and give updates about their respective groups. The Senate decided that an FVA position would follow the same guidelines as other delegates.

Club of the Month
The Senate chose Fordham University EMS (FUEMS) as club of the month. They were nominated by USG’s e-board because they were recognized as EMS organization of the year at the National Collegiate EMS Foundation Conference. The e-board also said that they recently completed the process of switching from paper documentation to electronic documentation.

Executive Update
In his executive update, Executive President Brian Reardon, FCRH ’18, said there will be a proposed vote to see if CAB will gain departmental status at Wednesday’s Student Life Council (SLC) meeting. Reardon said this would change the way CAB receives its budget. While it currently receives its money through the USG Budget Committee, the proposal would have CAB receive its budget directly from the Office of Student Involvement (OSI). Reardon said that depending on the outcome of the vote, USG’s documentation will have to change to reflect the decision.

New Seal
The Senate approved a new design for the USG seal. Senator Scott Saffran, FCRH ’18, designed and presented the new seal. Saffran said the old version contained various design flaws, so he wanted to refresh it. The new seal includes a shield with Keating and “USG” in the center. The shield has olive branches around it, “United Student Government” above it and a banner at the bottom that says “Vox Discipilorum,” USG’s motto, which translates to “voice of the students.”