Fordham Dance Marathon Breaks Donation Record

FDM committee members revealed the final fundraising total at the end of the dance marathon. (Helen Stevenson/ The Fordham Ram)

By Helen Stevenson

Fordham Dance Marathon (FDM) raised a total of $121,364.88 for its sixth annual dance marathon this Friday, March 8 to support the Andrew McDonough Be Positive (B+) foundation. The student-run organization raised $15,000 during the event itself, bringing in over 12 percent of its total fundraising.

According to Jacklyn Onody, GSB ’20, and FDM co-director Kimona Dussard, FCRH ’20, organizers chose to keep their fundraising goal a secret this year to build more excitement about the reveal. Although the organization has decided to maintain the secret even post-marathon, Onody and Dussard said FDM succeeded in passing its goal.

“It was an amazing feeling watching the reveal this year and knowing that we are going to help so many families as a result of all of our hard work,” they said.

Onody and Dussard said that what really helped make this year successful was the number of people we had involved in FDM this year.

“We had an amazing team behind us on both Committee and Subcommittee and we would not have been able to pull this off without their support and added manpower,” they said.

This year, Sammy Adams headlined the event. It was his first performance since the rapper broke his neck in September 2018.
Adams said he was happy to perform for such an amazing cause.

“My dad has leukemia so this is a big deal to me,” he said. “It’s impeded my family’s life for a long time and it is an honor to be here for such an awesome cause.”

Adams performed three unreleased songs during his set.

“I’m not allowed to do this but I’m going to do this anyhow,” he said. “It is a hundred percent unreleased and I am going to get killed by my management.”

A number of student groups also performed throughout the day, including Satin Dolls, Expressions, the Ramblers and Fordham Flava.

Jeffrey Pelayo, FCRH ’21, performed with Flava and said that the marathon was an amazing experience.

“I appreciate when Flava is asked to perform at these fundraisers because in a way, I feel like I’m killing two birds with one stone,” he said, “by getting the opportunity to dance and raise awareness for pediatric cancer at the same time.”

The event lasted throughout the day, from 2 p.m. until 12 a.m., and FDM hosted various activities to participate in: including a 3v3 basketball tournament, Erg races, relay races and other small fundraising activities.

Several B+ “Heroes,” children battling pediatric cancer, also attended the event earlier in the day to play with FDM organizers and Fordham athletes during the activities.

Onody and Dussard said FDM is still accepting donations at www.fordhamdancemarathon.org