Student-Athlete Column: Coaching Change

Fordham has a new track and field coach, which has had an effect on the team. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

Kaley Bell, Contributing Writer

The Thomas Dewey era has come to an end. The legacy of the track and field and cross country coach ended abruptly and unexpectedly. Leaving behind thirty-seven years of authority, Dewey left the team in the good hands of Brian Horowitz, an alumnus of Fordham University and the Fordham track and field team. 

Horowitz has a lot of experience as a part of the team, as he has been the assistant coach for a few years. “Moving to head coach, I have more responsibilities,” he said. “In addition to coaching the student-athletes, I have to manage our assistants.”

Using his own experience in coaching, Horowitz also takes some of his ideals from Dewey, who has held the title of head coach for nearly 40 years. When asked what he takes from Dewey’s legacy, Horowitz said, “We both prioritize being good humans first and foremost, but academics is another major priority. You come to college to get an education and we want to make sure that our athletes graduate and are prepared to successfully enter into the real world.”

After hearing these words from Horowitz, my teammates and I are really excited about what the new year and a new coach has to offer for us.

“We were all excited to hear the news that Horowitz was named the new head coach,” sophomore jumper Jade Dyer-Kennedy says. “He was really good as an assistant coach, and now that he is moved up, we can’t wait for what is to come.” I have to say that I agree with her.